reddish wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maverick06

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
media, pa
So its time to buy wood. The guy i do to lets me choose the type of wood and the length. Easy enough. This past year i had a few from a mixed bag though, and one was this reddish one. It burned well and didnt have any bugs (i had a lot of wood boring insects in the walnut and ash). So I am curious what it is.

Of course i forgot to get a picture of one with bark.... so here is a log, it has a little more reddish hue than the picture shows. Probably not possible to ID, but I figured i would see if we could get an answer. Its not an oak (its quite light). Any thoughts? I would like to figure out if its BTU to figure if its is worth buying.

Any thoughts? Its gotta be from south east PA.

Attachments

• IMG_20170427_174805.jpg
    IMG_20170427_174805.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 134
Looks to be soft maple. I like it, burn a lot of it.

Red maple (aka soft maple can be a reddish color especially when recent cut and split. Good wood and its strength is its quick drying time.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Like I've said before, if I had to choose one type of wood to burn for the rest of my life is would be sugar or Norway maple, its long lasting, fairly easy to split and dries out pretty fast. Performance wise, its just one step below red oak and again dries out in half the time.

Like I've said before, if I had to choose one type of wood to burn for the rest of my life is would be sugar or Norway maple, its long lasting, fairly easy to split and dries out pretty fast. Performance wise, its just one step below red oak and again dries out in half the time.

X2