Reduced distance requirement to outside window is less with Outside Air kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drlindd

Jun 18, 2008
Mid NH
I am installing my AVALON ASTORIA, which heats 2800 sq. feet pellet stove to outside wall with a straight installation & have an outside air kit. My book says the typical distance from a window that "opens" is 4 feet if you do NOT have an outside air kit. I called my retail store and they said it's only 18 inches from a window if you do have an outside air kit. However, i don't see this exception in my installation book.. I believe the retailer but I need to prove it to the building inspector after the installation...Anyone have this experience?

stove make and model?

I have a horizontal vent under a slider window.... with a Selkirk pipe with the built-in OAK. I have 35" from the lowest part of the window to the end of my vent pipe. In order to pass my dealer's inspection I was told to "disable" the window so it would not open.

I haven't heard of this "exception" but it may be valid. My install did not have to be inspected by the local building inspector but my dealer requires and inspection of any stove they sell.

Good luck.

krooser said:
I have a horizontal vent under a slider window.... with a Selkirk pipe with the built-in OAK. I have 35" from the lowest part of the window to the end of my vent pipe. In order to pass my dealer's inspection I was told to "disable" the window so it would not open.

I haven't heard of this "exception" but it may be vald. My install did not have to be inspected by the local building inspector but my dealer requiires and inspection of any stove they sell.

Good luck.

I just had my stove inspected and passed with flying colors. The inspecter did say that he tells people to nail the windows shut to get around the distance restrictions. They do make locking window locks which would be a lot more pleasing to the eye compared to a nail or screw. You could actually void the window warranty by putting a nail or screw through the sash.

I took this right out of my st croix installation manual.
"The vent terminal of a direct vent appliance withan input of 10000 BTU/HR or less shall be located at least 6" from any opening into a building,and such an appliance with an input over 10000 BTU/HR,but not over 50000 BTU/HR shall not be located less than 9" from any opening through which vent gases could enter a building,and the vent terminal of such appliance with an input over 50000 BTU/HR shall be located not less than 12" from the opening"
My stove is 40000 BTU and is located 10" from a window and passed the inspection with flying colors,no need to nail the window shut in my case.

Drlindd said:
.....I called my retail store and they said it's only 18 inches from a window if you do have an outside air kit. However, i don't see this exception in my installation book......

Once again, what brand of stove, and what model??????

Status
Not open for further replies.