Reducing Chimney Size for an Earth Stove 100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockefeller

Oct 24, 2008
Northern Indiana
Hi,

From 1994 to 1998 I heated with an Earth Stove 100 that was in my house when I bought it. I have since moved and picked one up this summer to heat my 32x40 pole barn. It has a gas furnace which I'll use to take the chill off until the stove gets going and mostly I'll run the stove on weekends when I expect to be in the shop most of thel day. I need to get stove pipe and the chimney. I used to call my old stove, a wood eating stove. This stove is intended for 8" piping, but I was wondering what would be the consequenses of using 6" stove pipe and 6" chimney. I'm hoping to save some coin on the chimney parts and slow down the burn rate.
Since I had one before, I am pretty sure I would have plenty of heat using the standard 8" chimney. For fuel I'll be using an oak tree that came down earlier this year in a a storm.

Attachments

• Firewood July 2008_008.jpg
    Firewood July 2008_008.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Firewood July 2008_005.jpg
    Firewood July 2008_005.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 242
Use 8" pipe, it doesn't look like draft will be an issue, so no need for a draft damper. As for the oak, it may need another year of seasoning before burning.

My Earth stove had a 7" hole in the top so I used a 7" to 6" reducer and ran all 6" pipe and chimney and it did fine for me. If yours has an 8" hole then you should go with a 8" system.

Status
Not open for further replies.