Q&A Reducing Clearances for a low cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am going to install a Federal airtight stove.It's an older model made by Dutchwest by what I've been told.It has a heatshield in the back,and I'm going to keep it 12 inches from a wall I built by putting metal sheet set 1 inch away from sheetrock.Sound okay?Also going to use some Dura-vent chimney that I have on hand.It's triple wall,no packed insulation(older manufacture?).I'll have to offset the pipe with 30 degree offset to miss hip roof peak in a 1 story attic,if I can find offsets,which has been a problem so far.I'm doing this because I have all the pipe on hand other then offsets,to save money.Is this ok,or will I have to sell my wife and kids to be able to afford a new,complete Metalbestos set-up?Can I use single wall pipe on the interior,with shields,or do I have to use double wall.Pipe will be about 13 inches from unprotected wall,which starts 4 feet from base.I thought woodstoves were supposed to save you money

Answer:

Sounds OK to me. The sheet metal spaced 1" off the wall will provide a reduction to the 12". The Dura-Vent should be fine. You should be able to find the same type pipe. Try a plumbing or heating supply if you cannot find it in a stove place. Yes, a pipe heat shield will easily reduce your single pipe clearance to 13" or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.