Reducing height of firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clueless

Apr 12, 2008
nor cal
We are in the process of a remodel and removed some decorative brick from around our firebox. The height of the firebox opeing is now 33 inches. I would like to reduce that by about 9 inches. We are planning to put 12x12 inch tile around the opening. Any suggestions.
Thanks!

A bit confusing - because you mention "decorative" brick - the brick on the top of a fireplace front is functional....and usually sits on a steel lintel. The typical way to lower such an opening is to use a steel lintel (angle) which sits a few inches into the brick on either side and then brick is set on top of it. I suppose it might be possible to use a preformed concrete lintel in much the same way, but you still need to set it on something.

Thanks. The lintel (metal bar across the top) is still there. So I guess we have to put in a new lintel in below that and then put firebrick on top of that? Have you ever heard of hanging wonder board (I think that is non combustible) and tiling directly over that? I am a complete novice (have never heard the word lintel before!), so sorry if I sound like I'm in fireplace kindergarten!

If the existing lintel is still there, I think it would be possible to lower the opening without dealing with heavy weight materials. A "frame" of steel studs or a home-made sheet metal box with a layer of Durock screwed onto it should do the job.....but it would need to be done by someone fairly handy using lead shields or tapcons for fastening to the masonry. The enclosed sketch is just a guideline for something which may work.

Attachments

• Picture 10.png
    Picture 10.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 422
OK...you are seriously the best! Many thanks! :) I can't tell you how random it was that I came across this website. The value of the internet never ceases to amaze.

Status
Not open for further replies.