reducing installation clearences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

richny02

Mar 3, 2017
md
Hello all once again! Getting ready to install my 5502 and would like to place it on a 45 degree in a corner. However the instructions say I need 8" of clearance from the corner of the stove to the wall. This would put the stove pretty far out into the area I want to install it. Is there a way to reduce the clearance to the side walls so I can put it closer? Saw all kind of things regarding heat shields with wood stoves but nothing on pellet.

I know of several things that could be done but the real question is will it pass inspection or pass the insurance company if you should happen to have a fire.
Ron

There is also the issue of having space around it to work on it when needed... A whole lot tougher to do in a corner so you really don't want to reduce clearances for that reason either.

Reactions: bags
Def not looking for a diy handyman shortcut, want to be safe. Wasn't sure about the King models, but I though I read somewhere that manufactures like Harmon can have side shields installed to reduce clearances. Wasn't sure if I could put something like brick, tile( on cement board) or stone veneer. Thinking this all may end up being a no go and the unit is just too large for the space an=nd may have to sell it. :(

Def not looking for a diy handyman shortcut, want to be safe. Wasn't sure about the King models, but I though I read somewhere that manufactures like Harmon can have side shields installed to reduce clearances. Wasn't sure if I could put something like brick, tile( on cement board) or stone veneer. Thinking this all may end up being a no go and the unit is just too large for the space an=nd may have to sell it. :(

8 inches is not much at all, exactly how close do you want to get it?