Refractory door problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wilson1970

Nov 23, 2020
Netherlands
Hi everybody, I use my Defiant stove for 5 years now and I am very happy with it, but since a while the access refractory cover (2nd picture) of my Defiant Encore 1975 keeps falling off the catalyst unit, when the fire is on. There is simply to much space for the small lid above.
I have bought a new one, but it keeps falling off. Anyone known with this problem?
And is it possible to drill a small hole in the refractory unit so I can make a kind of iron lock system to prevent falling?

Or can I use the catalyst simply without the cover plate?

Kind regards, and thanks for your replies, Michiel
Netherlands

Schermafbeelding 2023-01-07 om 17.15.08.png images.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidAllen
The cat definitely needs the cover plate. Rather than drilling, could a small wedge of steel hole it in place?
@Defiant 3 may be able to answer.

Hi everybody, I use my Defiant stove for 5 years now and I am very happy with it, but since a while the access refractory cover (2nd picture) of my Defiant Encore 1975 keeps falling off the catalyst unit, when the fire is on. There is simply to much space for the small lid above.
I have bought a new one, but it keeps falling off. Anyone known with this problem?
And is it possible to drill a small hole in the refractory unit so I can make a kind of iron lock system to prevent falling?

Or can I use the catalyst simply without the cover plate?

Kind regards, and thanks for your replies, Michiel
Netherlands

View attachment 307113 View attachment 307115
Hi, my name is Dave. And I have an encore defiant 1975, that the refractory door is doing the same thing. I was just wondering if you ever found a solution or if anybody got back to you on how to fix it. I have a bunch of the ceramic spacers that I used to put up the heat shield, and I’ve just been cracking them down as wedges and putting them down to bolstering the door up .

When I had an Encore about 5 years ago I had a problem with the outer cover falling out since it was new. Apparently it wasn't the outer cover it was the refractory frame was not cast right to be able to hold it in place. I put a piece of gasket wedged in the top to hold it in place. It would have been under warranty but I would have had too return the stove to the dealer myself. The dealer didn't do installs. He just sold them. So I just sold the stove to be done with it. I later heard this was a common issue with that model Encore. Might have been a 2040?

Hi, my name is Dave. And I have an encore defiant 1975, that the refractory door is doing the same thing. I was just wondering if you ever found a solution or if anybody got back to you on how to fix it. I have a bunch of the ceramic spacers that I used to put up the heat shield, and I’ve just been cracking them down as wedges and putting them down to bolstering the door up .

David.. it sounds like this has just recently started which is saying the the refractory is getting a little worn. this is ok your just losing some ceramic here and there after all of the years burning. The easiest thing to do is to take 2 small piece of rope gasket and put it under the refractory door to prop it up and make it a little higher. If your refractory is starting to wear like this you may want to check your gaskets around the refractory engine at the end of the year.. The refractory engine takes a beating and the gaskets that seal everything take the same beating..