Refuse to stop Tarm!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

May 21, 2008
NH
I have refused to shut down my Tarm for the season. I have no storage.... so when it is warm out... I just let it go out and get cold.... but when we have nights like last night... I fire it up.. 33 last night.... and then it can heat all the hot water for 5 showers in the am too. I guess i will wait until June before I do the official... clean out and inspection. It has idled a bit too much for my liking at times... but what is a man to do when he is addicted to his Tarm? For the experts out there... tell me how idling can be detrimental to the Tarm? Are there any lasting effects to the Tarm is it idles too much?

You might want to get on You Tube & do a "gasification boiler" search. There you will find a great video on corrosion of gasification boiler plates. As the video explains, this is made worse by idling. Randy

I checked it out. Makes sense. I am also wondering about how long a Tarm lasts? I have seen a couple threads about people who have old Tarms and they still are working... but not really any solid info or data. Does anyone out there have any thoughts about how long my Tarm will last before this corrosion thing ( as seen on YOUTUBE ) will kill my Tarm? Are there any Tarms out there that have lasted 30 years ? I do not have storage. Will the corrosion be faster in my example.. becasue I have no storage? What is the typical life span of a Tarm with storage as compared to without?

Hi Birdman; Are you using any kind of mixer to keep cold return water from entering the boiler? If I were to run my Atmos the way I suspect you are doing, Atmos says that life of the unit could go from about 10 years to as short as 2. My guess is the steel in your boiler is of very high quality, it is Danish/Swedish isn't it? Is your boiler a gasifier? I just assumed it was. If it isn't I wouldn't worry near as much about corrosion. I can't answer the specific Tarm questions you asked. Hopefully I've been of a little help anyways, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.