Regasket glass door on older Vermont casting vigilant woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Robin Warner

Jan 24, 2023
Hampden mass
My Vigilant Vermont castings woodstove needs new gasket around the glass. I hired someone to regasket the entire stove. I have done the doors and the top. But never window. I have had the stove for 40 years. Does the glass need to come out in order to correctly put new gaskets in. I assume yes. I think it’s a different size also. A bit nervous as the store told me the gasket set was a special order 100$ and I see them online for less then 35$. I am nervous.

You may be able to have it done at a local glass retailer. Chances are some screws that hold the frames or clips, whichever you have, wil break then need to be drilled and tapped. Can you post pic. s of the inside of the doors? I could tell you what you'll need...