Regency 2400 October 1-January 1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MaineGuideMK

Sep 16, 2016
Maine
With the help of a lot of people on this forum, I bought a Regency 2400 off of Craigslist on October 1. The stove is 7 years old and needed all new firebricks. Next year, it will need gaskets on the glass. I paid $600 for the stove.

I like the stove. It took some getting used to. Prior to this stove, I had burned only non EPA stoves like Nashua's, Old Mill's, crappy box stoves, "ram downs," cook stoves, etc. I worked at a sporting camp and each cabin had a different stove. My last stove was a wood/coal stove that looked like a Garrison.

I live in a roughly 800 square foot ranch on a blueberry field where a west wind hits the back of the house hard. I heat only with wood. My furnace goes on only when I'm at work or late at night when it's very cold.

The stove gives great long burns. I can start a fire at 5:00 am, leave for work, and return home at 3:30 and still have enough coals to start a fire without a match. It's difficult to get to stove hot quickly. I think this is because it's covered in heat shields and it's very well insulated. The firebox is almost completely covered in bricks. When the weather is below zero and the wind is howling, it's hard to keep the house warm. This isn't the stove's fault, but I did think about taking off the heat shields when we had those -25 degree wind chills a couple of weeks ago.

I've had way less creosote buildup. I brushed out my stove pipe once, but it really wasn't that bad.

I think I'm burning less wood than normal, but it's hard to tell right now. I'll have a better idea by March. Overall, I think this stove was a good purchase. It'll take another season or two to dial it in, but it's a good stove and definitely a whole house heater up to 1500 square feet in the north.

I hope this helps someone looking to buy a Regency 2400.

Reactions: burnt03
It was designed with those heat shields -- removing them will vastly change your clearances.
Does it have the fan kit? That would help distribute the heat. Or, just use a fan blowing on it from the side, or however it can safely be done, maintaining clearances.

It was designed with those heat shields -- removing them will vastly change your clearances.
Does it have the fan kit? That would help distribute the heat. Or, just use a fan blowing on it from the side, or however it can safely be done, maintaining clearances.

I should have mentioned that I never removed the old heat shields on my wall when I installed this stove. I wonder it anyone has tried to remove heat shields from a new stove. The stove came with a blower, but I've never used it. I took it apart to clean it and then never put it back on the stove. I do have an overhead ceiling fan in the room.

Is this the F2400 or S2400? I too just picked up a Regency S2400 on craigslist. Been working out the details on how to most efficiently burn. I have then sideshields and the fan installed.

Is this the F2400 or S2400? I too just picked up a Regency S2400 on craigslist. Been working out the details on how to most efficiently burn. I have then sideshields and the fan installed.

Mine is an F2400. I've learned a couple of things about this stove. I use small wood at first to get it up to temp. Once the bricks and stove warms up, I back it off and use bigger wood for a slower burn. It seems like you're using more wood than you should, but once this stove gets hot, it's easy to maintain the temp. I've also learned that too much ash in the box keeps the stove from throwing enough heat.

Any little tricks you have found?

Mine is an F2400. I've learned a couple of things about this stove. I use small wood at first to get it up to temp. Once the bricks and stove warms up, I back it off and use bigger wood for a slower burn. It seems like you're using more wood than you should, but once this stove gets hot, it's easy to maintain the temp. I've also learned that too much ash in the box keeps the stove from throwing enough heat.

Any little tricks you have found?

Mine is a used unit as stated above. It is about 4 years old. The fire bricks were all in good shape. I took the unit apart and cleaned everything out (secondary air tubes as well). I use a stove top temp gauge to regulate my burns (with an IR thermometer as well). I use the IR thermometer to double check the stove top temps and the flue temps. I will start to close down the primary air after ~ 400 - 450 F (stove top temp). After that I let it cruise. No real tricks, just monitor you temperatures.

Luckily for me, I have all hardwood - oak, hickory, beech etc to burn.

Put on the blower, run it when it gets very cold outside.

Put on the blower, run it when it gets very cold outside.
Yep. Try it on low speed, just enough to keep moving air past the walls of the stove and pulling that heat off it. When I run my Dutchwest, and it gets cold and windy out, using the blower is the only way I can keep room temp up where I like it.