Regency 2400I Loud Bang! Like a shot!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobNorman

Oct 8, 2008
NE Canada
Hi, Have had this stove since late September, I noticed over the winter (maybe 7 or 8 times) a few bangs during operation. This happens after the stove has been operation for a few hours. it has been a sort of metallic bong, or ping, like the metal is expanding or popping, not too loud but a little startling. I’m using dry wood, and have not left the door open.

About two weeks ago I was loading it, after it had been going for a few hours and... BANG!!! A different sound, like a shot. Scared the *#$% out of me.

Then last night, I was sitting in my living room, chatting on the phone, fire going for about an hour, starting to die down a little, draft at 3/4, fan going...and BANG! Like a gunshot! Loudest one yet. Dog bolted out of the room! I jumped! Person I was on the phone with screamed!....it was LOUD. It was louder than a backfire, not metallic, just a big bang. This was followed about 20 minutes later by the bong metallic noise...and again 15 mins after that...

I've called the place I bought it from, they have never heard of this, but are "checking on it" and will get back to me.

Anyone ever hear of this? Any thoughts? I’d love to have some similar stories, or ideas of what it could be for when they get back to me. As it is now, I don’t want to use the stove again ‘til this is resolved.

BobNorman said:
Hi, Have had this stove since late September, I noticed over the winter (maybe 7 or 8 times) a few bangs during operation. This happens after the stove has been operation for a few hours. it has been a sort of metallic bong, or ping, like the metal is expanding or popping, not too loud but a little startling. I’m using dry wood, and have not left the door open.

About two weeks ago I was loading it, after it had been going for a few hours and... BANG!!! A different sound, like a shot. Scared the *#$% out of me.

Then last night, I was sitting in my living room, chatting on the phone, fire going for about an hour, starting to die down a little, draft at 3/4, fan going...and BANG! Like a gunshot! Loudest one yet. Dog bolted out of the room! I jumped! Person I was on the phone with screamed!....it was LOUD. It was louder than a backfire, not metallic, just a big bang. This was followed about 20 minutes later by the bong metallic noise...and again 15 mins after that...

I've called the place I bought it from, they have never heard of this, but are "checking on it" and will get back to me.

Anyone ever hear of this? Any thoughts? I’d love to have some similar stories, or ideas of what it could be for when they get back to me. As it is now, I don’t want to use the stove again ‘til this is resolved.

I`ve heard of this happening before with steel plate stoves and it`s not that uncommon but If it was my stove I`d want to check the welds to see if one broke loose.
Maybe you should post this in the Hearth Room Forum? This is the Pellet Stove Forum.

Thanks, I realized I posted in the wrong area just after I put it up. I posted over there, and thought I had taken it down here. I'll try to do that again.
Thanks for your comments, I also got the same advice next door. Long story short, Regency says this happens every now and again, and will likely replace my stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.