Regency 2500 Almost Ready to Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
Insert Installed, Building Permit approved, Inspection scheduled for next week. Of course it is suppose to get warmer next week, but since I need to burn in the stove, having warmer weather when the windows are open is probably a good thing. Any guidance on doing the burn in? I am assuming that I should keep the damper closed once it gets going, but should I limit the amount of wood I put in the box? it is a cat stove so not sure if engaging the cat during the burn in is required etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG_0305[1].JPG

It never hurts to start out with a small fire, kindling and a couple 2" splits to warm up the stove, dry out any moisture that might be in the bricks, etc. Then the next fire can be hot enough to engage the cat, maybe four 4" splits. This will start baking in the paint. After that, go for broke with a good hot fire, cat engaged. Take the temperature off of the face of the stove, above the door, to around 550º.

It never hurts to start out with a small fire, kindling and a couple 2" splits to warm up the stove, dry out any moisture that might be in the bricks, etc. Then the next fire can be hot enough to engage the cat, maybe four 4" splits. This will start baking in the paint. After that, go for broke with a good hot fire, cat engaged. Take the temperature off of the face of the stove, above the door, to around 550º.
this model has the digital temp probe so I should not have an issue knowing the temp

So do the kindling and 2 inch splits, let that burn down to coals and then do the 4 inch split fire right after that?

Yes, that should be ok. Steel stoves aren't as fussy. This is mainly to break in the paint.

this model has the digital temp probe so I should not have an issue knowing the temp
That is for the catalyst, correct? The cat temp is not the same as the stove's surface temp. Use an IR thermometer or get a 2" stovetop thermometer and put it above the door a bit off center.

OK Thanks for the info.

OK Inspector came out and said I need to put some fireproof layer in front of the hearth. The manual says combustibles should be 16 inches from the door. The door is 10 inches from the edge of the hearth and the hearth is 10 inches high. I thought that since on a diagonal it is over 16 inches away, it met parameters. Installer did not mention anything either. Fortunately the inspector said I could use the stove. (I put some extra ceramic tiles down just in case and ordered a fire-resistant mat) Did the first burn last night. Took a while to get it going, but got a good burn eventually. (It was warm here in CT so I had the sliding door open to counter act the smell.) Definate learning curve on the air control position. Will do another burn tonight . Manual says do 5 fires before going full bore, so hope to get those in before it turns colder next week.