Regency 2700 auto fan issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 16, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Hello all. Season is upon us and I am trying to get ahead of an issue I am having. Purchased and had a Regency 2700 installed last season. I am having an issue with the auto feature for the fan. Fan works both in high/low but cannot get the auto feature to work. Replaced the therma disc but still no go. Original disc was tested and worked as well. Regency says I am not building the fire correctly or the disc isn’t placed in the right spot.

I had the fire going last season for 20 days straight so in my mind it isn’t how I build the fire. Even with barely any ash after a day of burning it won’t work. As far as positioning the wires are only long enough for the disc to be positioned on the back of the blower as it was from factory.

Anything else a guy can try?

Hello all. Season is upon us and I am trying to get ahead of an issue I am having. Purchased and had a Regency 2700 installed last season. I am having an issue with the auto feature for the fan. Fan works both in high/low but cannot get the auto feature to work. Replaced the therma disc but still no go. Original disc was tested and worked as well. Regency says I am not building the fire correctly or the disc isn’t placed in the right spot.

I had the fire going last season for 20 days straight so in my mind it isn’t how I build the fire. Even with barely any ash after a day of burning it won’t work. As far as positioning the wires are only long enough for the disc to be positioned on the back of the blower as it was from factory.

Anything else a guy can try?
Is the blower in the proper location? What temps were you reaching when you ran it was the cat active? Did you try bypassing the snapdisc to see if it works bypassed?

Blower and snap disc bolt into only one position that I can see. The fireplace was running anywhere between 900-1200. I haven’t tried to bypass the thermadisc. I can turn the fan on manually with no issues.

Blower and snap disc bolt into only one position that I can see. The fireplace was running anywhere between 900-1200. I haven’t tried to bypass the thermadisc. I can turn the fan on manually with no issues.
At this point it is still covered under warranty. Insist that your dealer fixes it now.

Dealer is a 5 hour drive one way. They tell me the thermadisc is in the wrong position or fire is built wrong. Can’t get anywhere with them besides that.
Who installed it?

The only thing I know to do is verify the disc is in the proper location. And try bypassing it to see if it works then.

This is a pretty common complaint with this insert. The thermocouple reading that you're getting is from the top of the stove, but the Thermo switch for the blower is at the bottom of the stove below the bricks. So even if you're showing 900 on the temp, it doesn't mean that the blower switches at that temp. It sometimes takes an hour to heat up enough. What I do is just let the stove cruise for 20-30 minutes and put it to auto. Later in the day I'll switch it back to auto and it usually stays on. You can some times hear the click that the switch makes when it reaches the temp (regardless of what position the fan is in)

What is the heat range of the snap switch? I'm wondering if anyone has tried a 10 or 15º lower on-temp for the snap switch. It usually is listed on the side of the switch. The numbers looks like 110-140 NO or something like that. The 140 being the temp it closes to make the circuit (on) and the 110 the temp that it opens again (off). So in the case of the 110-140 switch I would try a 130 or 125-110 switch.

This is a pretty common complaint with this insert. The thermocouple reading that you're getting is from the top of the stove, but the Thermo switch for the blower is at the bottom of the stove below the bricks. So even if you're showing 900 on the temp, it doesn't mean that the blower switches at that temp. It sometimes takes an hour to heat up enough. What I do is just let the stove cruise for 20-30 minutes and put it to auto. Later in the day I'll switch it back to auto and it usually stays on. You can some times hear the click that the switch makes when it reaches the temp (regardless of what position the fan is in)

Ok, the position in your comment makes sense but it won’t work after running the insert for days on end.

I think I will try the other comment about getting a lower temp thermadisc.

Ok, the position in your comment makes sense but it won’t work after running the insert for days on end.

I think I will try the other comment about getting a lower temp thermadisc.
First try bypassing the snap disc to make sure the switch is working properly

First try bypassing the snap disc to make sure the switch is working properly
Yes, first try jumpering across the snap disk terminals. Do this carefully, this is line voltage:ZZZ. The fan should come on. If not, the problem is with the blower switch.

Yes, first try jumpering across the snap disk terminals. Do this carefully, this is line voltage:ZZZ. The fan should come on. If not, the problem is with the blower switch.
Or wiring in-between the switch and snap disc. But chances are it would be the switch

I asked Regency to send me a replacement switch as well but they wouldn’t and just sent me another thermadisc. I should be able to buy a switch off Amazon someplace.
Test the snapdisk circuit before replacing the switch. What is the rating on the side of the snapdisk?

Does the mounting of the switch press it firmly against the insert bottom? We'll have to wait and see what the test shows. That's a fairly low temp switch, but if all checks out good when jumpered then maybe a 100-110 would work better unless Regency has chosen a poor location for the snap switch.

I have the same insert and the same issue. I took it apart and confirmed that the snap disk is working. I put a lighter near the disk and it turned the fan right away. I’ve contacted regency a few times about this issue and they’ve been no help. When the auto feature does work the fan shuts off early even though the stove is still hot. I’ve had temperatures of 1300°F on the display and the fan still won’t turn on. I also have an issue with the digital thermostat display. I can put a new battery in it and within a day it’s completely dead even though it’s turned off. Of course Regency told me to contact the dealer, but I haven’t stopped by there yet. I have another model of Regency insert in my lower level and the blower on it works great.