Regency 2700 wood insert in a heatilator t4800 without burning house down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MontanaStovin

Oct 21, 2021
Montana
I have a Regency 2700 insert in my heatilator t4800 prefab fireplace. The fireplace was installed in 2000 and the insert was installed last year after the old insert was ripped out. The insert was installed per the Regency manual with an insulated flue insert and I couldn't find any language in the heatilator manual that suggests that this install was expressly forbidden.

Is this safe? Will I char out the studs over time? I have heard concerns that the heatilator t4800 is not rated for insert and that the installer screwed me by doing this work.

So I can’t find anything in the t4800 manual that allows inserts. If it’s not tested it is generally not allowed. The wording on page 4 is clear. “Any alterations voids the UL listing”.

the 2700 manual allows it to be installed in a prefab unit. (I think this is why they are working to change rules to not allow any inserts in pre fab fireplaces as the the details of is allowed and not allowed are not always evident).

I am not an expert just a person who’s better informed (most by reading this forum and manuals) than the average person.

Evan

3F804B7F-2321-42C7-B8E9-0544286CE9AB.png

Call Heatilator customer support they gave me a verbal ok to install a Buck 18 in a Heatilator E39 prefab fireplace. Many on here suggest to get it in writing. This was for my brother he was going to do it regardless of what Heatilator says, and never called them for written confirmation. A while back I called Superior about installing in a prefab, they said not in the models with welded in dampers but they did allow it in the older ones with bolt in dampers. My understanding is that no wood burring inserts are allowed in prefab after July of this year.
Was tis a regular stove shop that preformed the work? Did you buy the insert form them?

Reactions: bholler
Well it looks like the installer conned me into an expensive install against code... is this practical to burn in for the next 20-30 yrs (8cord/yr)? Otherwise what recourse should I take with the installer?

@john26 yes it was a regular stove shop. They sent out goons that needed me to supervise them and baby sit them through the Regency manual. They purchased the unit and did the labor.

I would call Heatilator before moving forward with anything, explain the situation they have a good customer service if they give you the go ahead try to get it in writing. Also did they insulate the liner? I would assume you have an air cooled chimney if so you don't want an air cooled liner as well.
BHoller and Begreen on here would have more info on the legality of the situation. You may want to find a certified and reputable chimney sweep in your area to do an inspection.

John has it pretty well covered. The manual doesn't allow anything that isn't specified in that manual. Your insert isn't specified so it's not allowed by code. The only option is to get permission in writing from heatilator