Regency 5200 Pro Glass gets dirty quick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mr4btTahoe

Burning Hunk
Jan 13, 2015
Indiana
Hey alls..

So I've been fighting an issue with my Regency 5200 Pro since I installed it last season.

The glass gets filthy quick and always in the same spots. So much so that I thought it was an issue with the door. Regency sent me an entire door assembly (original door had a broken bolt in it too).

New door, gasket, glass, etc... seals tight. Same issue.

What else could cause it? I assumed that this fancy stove would go a few days keeping the glass relatively clean.. but the picture is less than an hour after cleaning.

Thoughts?

Other than this minor issue... I absolutely love this stove.

-Chris

20221118_174554.jpg 20221118_174559.jpg

Is the air set pretty low at this point?

Reactions: Mr4btTahoe
If you have some shorter splits, try loading with them next time so that the wood is an inch or two further back from the glass.

If you have some shorter splits, try loading with them next time so that the wood is an inch or two further back from the glass.
Will do.

I do run the stove low fairly often but typically, the cat is at full tilt and the stove is putting out substantial heat.. just minimal/no flame in the box other than the occasional blue flare up.

That sounds good. It's a serious big heater. A sooty glass can be the trade-off for the low and slow running of a cat stove. Pulling the wood back a little from the glass may help. Also, on morning reload, run it hotter with more air to burn off some of the soot.

That sounds good. It's a serious big heater. A sooty glass can be the trade-off for the low and slow running of a cat stove. Pulling the wood back a little from the glass may help. Also, on morning reload, run it hotter with more air to burn off some of the soot.
It's a unit for sure. Has cut my wood use drastically. I'll try a few different things and see how it goes.

Thanks for the input

Yes, as a(nother) cat stove owner, I see the same. Wood too close to the glass prohibits the air wash to work properly there. And the air wash is progressively weaker the lower you set the fire.

What helps for me is a half hour burn on high upon a reload - that'll clean the window up. (And nicely prepares the wood for an extended lower burn.)

Yes, as a(nother) cat stove owner, I see the same. Wood too close to the glass prohibits the air wash to work properly there. And the air wash is progressively weaker the lower you set the fire.

What helps for me is a half hour burn on high upon a reload - that'll clean the window up. (And nicely prepares the wood for an extended lower burn.)
This is my first fancy stove... it replaced a stove from the 80s that I'd bought used just to get our heating costs down while remodeling.

There's a learning curve to these epa stoves but they sure are nice. Huge difference in heat output, control ability, and wood use.

I'll definitely try to keep the wood back from the glass a bit more. Most of my splits are longer as the old stove had a large firebox too but we'll see what I can do.

Thanks again