Regency F1500 catalyst slide warping repeatedly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

James_Kyte

May 12, 2020
Nova Scotia
I'm on my fourth winter with a Regency Cascades F1500 catalytic wood stove. The catalyst is essentially a circular grid of cells that can be positioned underneath the stovepipe outlet. It sits in a drawer that the operator can slide forward and aft depending on whether they want the exhaust to pass through the catalyst or bypass it.

There seems to be a design problem with the drawer assembly. In fall 2020, after one year of use, a part on the bottom of the drawer--a heat shield of sorts--warped, causing the drawer to jam. I ordered a new one. Now, two years and a bit later, it's jamming again; I suspect the same part has warped a second time. On the next mild day I'll take it apart to verify (a royal PITA).

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the F1500 or any other Regency products with a similar sliding catalyst system.

Hello,
Similar catalyst drawer (glider mechanism?) on my Regency F1500 jammed repeatedly during its 4th month of use under warranty-but no replacement yet just a “fix” by the installer from the dealer.

It's a weak design.

Reactions: Todd
Seems like a bad design as well as a bad location since all the heat from the catalyst is wasted up the chimney. As I recall Regency is the only manufacturer to try and place CATs in the stove breech.

Some if the better designed stove and brands have them moved forward of the stove breech, even to the very front of their stoves.

I haven't run into any issues with them yet but I never liked the design and try not to sell them. I think we only have 2 cascades out

As I recall Regency is the only manufacturer to try and place CATs in the stove breech.
I think some of the new Hearthstones have it located there. The new Lincoln for example and maybe the GM40?

Aren’t they just in front of the breech though rather than right inside the stove outlet? I thought so, but perhaps I’m mistaken. Honestly can’t recall. Seems I’m wanting to say they had/have rectangular catalysts rather than round, but I haven’t looked in a while. Just going from memory and I’m not as young as I used to be. 😂