Regency f2400 help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sep 21, 2017
Bc Canada
hi all. New here but not new to wood stoves. Well these secondary burn ones I am. Grew up with rsf airtight wood stoves. With those, if you shut the damper all the way down, the fire would go out. Open a little, would burn all night.

Just bought a house with a regency f2400 in it. In the living room on a addition of a 70' mobile. Fire box air is plumbed to outside the house.

What I am having issues with is seeming to control it low. I start fire I. Evening right now, and we watch tv. Starts to get very warm even with damper closed right off. Seems like the tubes up tip don't close off. The coals at the floor of the fire go colder, glow less. But the flames right up at the tubes on top, creating coals on top of the load of wood. Like I said, when I load it up, then turn her down, it just seems to take off. I can't get her to smolder. Door seal appears all fine and tight. Am I doing something wrong with this style stove or is that how it is, hair straight back till the wood is all coals?

Well seasoned Canadian fir I am burning too. 6-8" splits. Al I have at the moment. Loading ns

Also can't get her to burn more than maybe 6 hrs on a full load. Load at 10pm. No coals at 7am. And it's not at freezing yet. What's it going to be like at -15c? Do we wake every3 hrs to stoke it?

I can't get her to smolder.

you don't want it to smolder. epa stoves are designed to burn hot, and clean, not smolder. (unless its a cat but thats a whole different discussion) you'll have to play with the air controls, it'll seem counterintuitive at first but you get more heat with less air, after you get the fire going. Start the fire with the air control wide open, then close it in small increments this will give you the most heat and longest burns. regency says the box is 2.3 cubic feet you should be able to get an overnight (coals in the morning) burn

I've got the insert version of your stove and the only way I can get an overnight burn is to use maple or arbutus.

Think I figured it out. The glass seal had pulled out on bottom, about 3" or so. And wasn't placed well all the way around. Prev owner used a flat seal with no sticky on iy so it moved around and was almost impossible to keep centered. Got some 3/4" tape seal and now it throttles right down. Couldn't see the seal had moved until I took the glass out. Got her loaded up right now and its just a wisp of flame where last night it would have been roaring

Reactions: begreen
Think I figured it out. The glass seal had pulled out on bottom, about 3" or so. And wasn't placed well all the way around. Prev owner used a flat seal with no sticky on iy so it moved around and was almost impossible to keep centered. Got some 3/4" tape seal and now it throttles right down. Couldn't see the seal had moved until I took the glass out. Got her loaded up right now and its just a wisp of flame where last night it would have been roaring
Good sleuthing. The burn in modern stoves is tightly controlled. An air leak can upset the balance.