Regency F2400 smoke smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

burnt03

Feeling the Heat
Oct 30, 2011
Peachland, BC, Canada
I've noticed a smoke smell inside lately when I get the stove going. When it gets hot I usually turn a fan on that blows across the top surface, that seems to make the smell more prevalent.

I've used the stove for the past 3 seasons, never replaced the door gasket. I notice that it takes more throw to tighten up the door now.... would that have anything to do with it? I always figured that even if the door was leaking, it would draw air in instead of leaking smoke out.

Could be the stove or the flue pipe is getting hotter than normal due to air leakage. If so the smell would be a little different, more like a paint baking smell. If so the door gasket would be the first place to check. Do the dollar bill test on the door gasket in multiple locations when the stove cools down.

Or if it is definitely wood smoke this could be an indication that draft is slowing down. If that is the case the chimney should be checked for cleaning, especially if there is a screened cap on the chimney. Cap screens can plug up quickly if the wood is not fully seasoned. And last, it could be that the glass gasket has shifted and is not sealing properly or has failed.

Thanks for the reply... the chimney may need a clean, I'll check tomorrow!