Regency Fire HZ40e - No Wall Switch / Receiver??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thedead

Nov 5, 2021
Chicago, IL
Hi All,

I purchased a home that was built ~5 years ago, and during the inspection the fireplace worked great with the remote. Once we moved in, we realized they had accidently taken the remote and the sellers don't know where it is anymore.

No big deal, I called the local fireplace dealer and got a remote for $100. The instructions say there should be a wall switch somewhere with a receiver but there isn't any.

I took the decorative cover off the fireplace, which is surrounded in tile, and the only switch is the constant pilot light switch. I can also see a power cable going into a wall but that is it.

Are there models that don't need the receiver? Is it possible the builders buried it behind the tile? Can I pair this remote some other way?

The receiver should be under the unit in the valve cavity.
What brand of remote do you have?
I can't access the cavity below & the valve is in the wall. Please see the attached pictures of the fireplace, valve, and remote.

PXL_20211106_155743786.jpg PXL_20211106_155740370.jpg PXL_20211106_152150694.jpg PXL_20211106_151810854.jpg PXL_20211106_151743544.MP.jpg

If you check your owner's manual. You will probably find that you have to remove the glass in order to access the valve cavity.

Reactions: thedead
Okay, so I managed to find the receiver unit and paired it! Fireplace works great now! A couple new questions:

1. There is a fan there, but it doesn't seem to operate even when I manually turn it on to max with the remote. I didn't leave the fireplace on for long, but does it need time before it will turn on? (I remember some old non-remote fire places I had where the fan would only come on after 5-10 min of operation).

If I'm going to take everything apart again, is there a way to test the fan without reassembling everything?

2. What are these two foam like pads on top?

PXL_20211107_043102112.jpg PXL_20211107_045521824.jpg

Okay, so I managed to find the receiver unit and paired it! Fireplace works great now! A couple new questions:

1. There is a fan there, but it doesn't seem to operate even when I manually turn it on to max with the remote. I didn't leave the fireplace on for long, but does it need time before it will turn on? (I remember some old non-remote fire places I had where the fan would only come on after 5-10 min of operation).

If I'm going to take everything apart again, is there a way to test the fan without reassembling everything?

2. What are these two foam like pads on top?

View attachment 284967 View attachment 284968
The two "Foam" pads are actually fireproof insulation. Those are "Blast doors". They are there to relieve pressure in the case of delayed ignition.
You can test the fan by connecting it to an extension cord. As for testing the auxiliary module that the fan plugs into, I am not familiar with that model but there should be a schematic in the manual.