Regency FP90 Draft from Blower Area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ski107

Feb 6, 2023
Boston
Hi All,

I've had two local fireplace installers look at this issue, as well as the original installer, but am coming up short. I also reached out to Regency but figured this was worth a shot too. I have an FP90 installed in 2009, with blower. The issue I'm having is a constant cold draft coming out of the blower area - resulting in the surrounding area being 20-30 degrees colder than the rest of the house. Covering the top of the chase in the attic did not have an effect, nor does the flue control lever. No draft comes from the actual firebox - only the blower area.

I've attached a picture of the bottom and top areas in case anyone spots anything that may be the cause. At this point, all I can do is cover up the blower area with insulation and a blanket when I'm not using it - but that's obviously not a great solution.

Thanks,
~ski

Image (3).jpeg Image (2).jpeg

I'm wondering if the cold air is coming from the outside air connection. Is there a vent on the outside of the chase near the bottom of the fireplace?

Hi begreen!

There are no visible vents around the fireplace itself, however there are two corrugated pipes on the top of the unit (left side and middle), as well as a corrugated pipe coming out of the box in the back left of the blower area. Right now I'm poking around to see if I can further isolate where the breeze is actually coming from.

Took a look around, and it seems like the draft is coming from the left side of the box in the back left area of the blower. I've attached a picture and a video - there looks to be another pipe there that leads to the left side of the overall enclosure. I looked at the unit from above via the chase and I see nothing coming out of that side, so I'm not sure where that pipe leads. In the video you can see the air blowing in the little dust strings pretty quickly.

325122319_728457128782480_8748282210628497383_n.jpg

Attachments

• 328762461_5842276329159353_7396034423247045646_n.mp4
    1.1 MB
as well as a corrugated pipe coming out of the box in the back left of the blower area.
That may be the outside air connection. Is the fireplace in a chase cantilevered off the side of the house? If so, look on the underside for the outside air intake.

It's actually right in the middle of the house, in a rectangular chase that goes all the way up to the attic. From there, I can see all the way to the unit - I see just the top big aluminum flue piece up to the chimney, but I don't see any of the other pipes coming off of it - on top, or to the side. I also checked for any outside vents around the house but everything is accounted. It definitely seems like outside air _is_ getting to that little area somehow though.

May need to take some more of it apart to find out, but I think that will require removing some of the rocks.