Regency Greenfire GFI55 vacuum switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlantz

Feb 13, 2011
Just north of New York City
Greetings pellet stove gurus. I have a Regency Greenfire GFI55 pellet stove insert. Worked fine last season. Got a thorough cleaning after the season like each year. Went to turn it on today and the heat selector kept flashing two. No pellets would drop and obviously no fire and heat. Dusted off the manual and it suggested jumping the vacuum switch. When I did that, pellets would drop, ignitor would get hot but no fire. My question is does this lead me to conclude that the vacuum switch is bad? Does a vacuum switch go bad in a 3.5 year old stove? Should I get ignition with a jumped vacuum switch or does that just fool the stove into thinking it has a properly working switch? The tube connected to the switch is clear of any blockages. Thanks for any help, I could really stand to avoid a hefty repairman bill.

Don't jump to blame the switch. It may just be doing its job. You more likely have an airflow problem, as the switches rarely go bad. I'd recheck the airflow paths even though you cleaned it this spring. You may have a critter's nest in your vent, or a dead bird in there. It happens.

Also check the nipple where the vac hose connects - run a wire through it to make sure it's clear. Ensure that the hose is not cracked anywhere, especially at the ends.

No fire might mean that the exhaust fan isn't running - it may be stuck after sitting all summer. Make sure that it's actually running at the proper speed, too.

Thank you for your reply I will look I to this in the morning. The exhaust fan looks like it is running so you are suggesting that the exhaust vent may be clogged somewhere after it exits the stove or there might be some ash obstructing air flow somewhere inside the box?

so you are suggesting that the exhaust vent may be clogged somewhere after it exits the stove or there might be some ash obstructing air flow somewhere inside the box?

Yes, as long as the exhaust blower is operating properly.
Glad to help - hope this does help you!

Status
Not open for further replies.