Regency HI500 / CI2700 Damper Binding / Seizing Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Avian Manor

Hello everyone, hope all is well.

A question to forum members regarding my one year old Regency HI500 (CI2700) -I've noticed over the last few months of use that my damper lever is becoming stiffer and stiffer to operate, hot or cold - just wondering if any other owners of this model have experienced the same issue and if there might be an easy fix.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

Following. My CI2600 air lever has been tough to move since the beginning. I slide the plastic lever cover partly off, this gives me more leverage.

Hello everyone, hope all is well.

A question to forum members regarding my one year old Regency HI500 (CI2700) -I've noticed over the last few months of use that my damper lever is becoming stiffer and stiffer to operate, hot or cold - just wondering if any other owners of this model have experienced the same issue and if there might be an easy fix.

Cheers!

Avianmanor
Do you mean the air control or the bypass damper?

Regency describes the two as "Primary Air Damper" and "Catalytic By-Pass Control". I'm having difficulty with the former, Primary Air Damper. My By-Pass control operates smoothly and with little effort, however, the damper lever is progressively becoming more difficult to slide back and forth.

Cheers!

Regency describes the two as "Primary Air Damper" and "Catalytic By-Pass Control". I'm having difficulty with the former, Primary Air Damper. My By-Pass control operates smoothly and with little effort, however, the damper lever is progressively becoming more difficult to slide back and forth.

Cheers!
Thanks, documentation can be confusing. To access the air control mechanism it looks like the bottom facia has to be slid out and the blower removed. At that point you may be able to spray graphite or silicone on the air control valve and if there is a support it passes through, there too.

Sorry to dig up an old post. I found that by sliding out the bottom tray and spraying 3-in-1 dry lock lubricant with a straw up into the area of the primary air lever, you can lubricate it without removing the blower. You then have to move the primary air lever back and forth 4 or 5 times every time you reload, but then it stays good. One of many poor designs on these stoves. Let's not even talk about how long my catalysts last...

Hello Tadmaz,

Thanks for sharing -my primary damper has remained very stiff to operate, so I welcome your input and will give that a try. Hear you on the Cat longevity -just ordered a replacement through the local dealer (first one under warranty) after 2 seasons of use -mine is pretty much pooched. Interesting -whenever I look at web sites offering aftermarket CATs for the Regency, they're out of stock. The stove will run without it of course, but not nearly as efficiently and environmentally friendly. Without a properly functioning catalyst, I have to load up the stove twice as often as previously, which doubles my firewood usage. Considering the insane local cost of one cord of Fir ( $500 to $700 CAD), if one is lucky enough to find a supplier, replacing my CAT out of warranty while expensive, is still the most economical option.

Cheers!

Cheers!
We just had our I2701 installed, first burn the primary air damper worked pretty smooth, this is our second burn (we had some warm weather move in for a couple days) now it's very stiff. so I'm following this thread. I'll call the installer and probably try what was suggested.