Regency I2450 compared to Quadrafire Expedition II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dnaysmith46

Sep 30, 2021
Hope, NJ
I am in the process of purchasing a new wood stove insert and I am looking at the Regency I2450 and the Quadrafire Expedition II. My present insert is about 40 years old and I absolutely love it, but I don't want the years to catch up with continued safety as I use my stove. My current one burns all night, just needs a little stirring in the morning to flame up again and I actually have to put it out to clean out the ashes. I am looking for a new one that will behave like this one (I actually do not know what the brand is - somebody told me it is a Dutch West).
Will either the I 2450 or the Expedition II make me happy because they are so much like my current stove?

Both are really good units. My wife and I were actually strongly considering the Expedition II because of its simplicity and clean design. Unfortunately it doesn’t qualify for the tax credit. Not sure if the Regency does

The big difference between the two is that the Regency has a user adjustable air setting the Quad does not. We don't have a lot of data on the Expedition II yet, though it is essentially the same under the hood as the VC Montpelier II now. Both units are well made. The Regency projects a bit out onto the hearth and will be less dependent on the blower. This would be a better heater for a power outage. In general, flush inserts are more dependent on the blower for convection. They also are more prone to sucking up ash into the blower due to a minimal or no ash lip.

As far as matching the 40 yr old insert, they may or may not. It's hard to say without knowing the make/model of the current insert.