Regency i2500 wiring – can the fan be hard-wired to avoid the ugly power cable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

arnoldez

Mar 15, 2022
Western North Carolina
Hi there, new here and new to fireplace inserts, so forgive me. I am in the market for a Regency i2500, but I'm having trouble understanding the manual and its requirements. It does state that you cannot run the existing power cable under/around the insert, but is it possible to replace this with a hard-wired installation? Our electrician refuses to install power behind the insert unless it's hard-wired – I believe it's against code to install an outlet, and we don't really want to anyway, since the included cable is not heat resistant.

There's an existing outlet on the backside of the chimney that's relatively easy to access, so I don't think it would be to troublesome. I just want to make sure this is possible with this model of insert.

Thanks!

Hi there, new here and new to fireplace inserts, so forgive me. I am in the market for a Regency i2500, but I'm having trouble understanding the manual and its requirements. It does state that you cannot run the existing power cable under/around the insert, but is it possible to replace this with a hard-wired installation? Our electrician refuses to install power behind the insert unless it's hard-wired – I believe it's against code to install an outlet, and we don't really want to anyway, since the included cable is not heat resistant.

There's an existing outlet on the backside of the chimney that's relatively easy to access, so I don't think it would be to troublesome. I just want to make sure this is possible with this model of insert.

Thanks!
No it is not allowed

Thanks!
Hi Arnold!

I would really like to know what you ended up doing? I purchased the same one and i have the same question.

Hi Arnold!

I would really like to know what you ended up doing? I purchased the same one and i have the same question.
I ended up just being lazy and plugging it into the wall, as designed, and then buying a plastic cover for it. The intent is to eventually paint it. It was too much of a hassle to be the middle man between our installer and our electrician, and neither seemed to be sure about what was even possible. The cable doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

I am in the market and looking at the i2500. My dealer suggested that if a plug was not nearby, that it might be possible to route BX cable up through the existing fireplace cleanout. Not sure if that meets code or not.

I am in the market and looking at the i2500. My dealer suggested that if a plug was not nearby, that it might be possible to route BX cable up through the existing fireplace cleanout. Not sure if that meets code or not.
Only if the outlet is installed outside the firebox so it is accessible

Code says it needs a nearby disconnect.