Regency insert i3100 or i2600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LN_A

Jan 25, 2018
Raleigh
I'm wondering which Regency insert would be more appropriate, the i3100 or i2600. I've been reading about all the issues and quirks of the i2600 and am not sure that we want to go that route; however, living in a milder climate (Raleigh, NC) I wondered if a cat stove with a lower, slower burn would be better for days that are not as cold.

I don't want anything that's too complicated to care for. We work at a Christian School that keeps us pretty busy during the winter. My dad thinks we should get gas because it would be less work, but we'd need to get a propane tank and install a direct vent system. I also like the idea of being able to save money by using wood. I do know that we are looking at 1-3 years for seasoning wood depending on the species.

We live in a 1550 sqft, 2-story home. Existing fireplace with old insert (unused) is on exterior wall centered in the living room. Stairwell is in the center of the home aligned with front and back door; dining room and kitchen on opposite side downstairs with three bedrooms upstairs. We would mostly be burning in the evening, on Saturdays, and over Christmas and Thanksgiving break.

Our current heat source is a heat pump. We would like to supplement that as well as enjoy the ambiance.

It sounds like you want to keep things as simple as possible. In this case the 3100 would be better at that objective. From the description it sounds like the i2400 would do the job just as well, at a lower cost.

I'm wondering which Regency insert would be more appropriate, the i3100 or i2600. I've been reading about all the issues and quirks of the i2600 and am not sure that we want to go that route; however, living in a milder climate (Raleigh, NC) I wondered if a cat stove with a lower, slower burn would be better for days that are not as cold.

I don't want anything that's too complicated to care for. We work at a Christian School that keeps us pretty busy during the winter. My dad thinks we should get gas because it would be less work, but we'd need to get a propane tank and install a direct vent system. I also like the idea of being able to save money by using wood. I do know that we are looking at 1-3 years for seasoning wood depending on the species.

We live in a 1550 sqft, 2-story home. Existing fireplace with old insert (unused) is on exterior wall centered in the living room. Stairwell is in the center of the home aligned with front and back door; dining room and kitchen on opposite side downstairs with three bedrooms upstairs. We would mostly be burning in the evening, on Saturdays, and over Christmas and Thanksgiving break.

Our current heat source is a heat pump. We would like to supplement that as well as enjoy the ambiance.
Can you post a pic of the fireplace? Is the current insert hooked to a liner and if so what size and is it insulated?

None !!! Go with a Quadra fire .

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you want to keep things as simple as possible. In this case the 3100 would be better at that objective. From the description it sounds like the i2400 would do the job just as well, at a lower cost.

Agreed. If the 3100 fits and you want to go that route it would be great but the 2400 would serve you well strictly based on square footage.

As Bholler suggests, find out the condition of current insert liner. If there is no stainless liner running off the current insert then that is an additional expense you're going to need to budget for. It's not an optional piece of the system.

We would mostly be burning in the evening, on Saturdays, and over Christmas and Thanksgiving break.
Yes, given this and the square ftg heated I think the 2400 would serve them well. Put the money saved into a good liner.

Thank you for the replies so far. Here is a picture of the fireplace. No mantel, mirror might need to move.

We were originally considering the i2400, but my concern is the hearth extension. The i3100 will have right at 16" clearance from the door. The i2400 sits out about 2" farther and will require us to extend the extension. We have beautiful Pergo floors that the former owners installed and I'm afraid of marring them by caulking a fire proof pad in front of the hearth. My husband is afraid that a hearth pass would trip someone.

We do need to get the chimney lined with an insulated liner. My grandpa was a fire chief so we are taking every precaution that we possibly can to ensure this is a safe install.

Attachments

• Regency insert i3100 or i2600
    IMG_20180120_142102209.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I have this wrong but it looks like the i2400 projects onto the hearth 7 5/8" and the i3100 projects 6 7/8". That's a difference of 3/4". Not enough to affect choice.

Regency insert i3100 or i2600 Regency insert i3100 or i2600

Not sure where those specs are from. Here is what the back of the Regency manual shows. I pulled up the sheets from their website also and verified that they both have the same measurements. The greater number is the stove top (which extends slightly) and the lesser number is the measurement to the faceplate.

Cost difference between the two models is $400. I'd love to go with the medium size and save $400, but I don't want to make my house look tacky in the process. I'm open to suggestions for a 1.75-2" addition to my hearth extension.

Attachments

• Regency insert i3100 or i2600
    IMG_20180126_220937141.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 99
They came from the manuals for each stove. Something is not jibing in their dimensions. Worst case scenario, put a nice hearth rug in front.