Regency P121 see-thru NG fireplace - can I disable one of the blowers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

arundel_jk

I have a Regency see-thru NG fireplace, model P121. There is a blower on each side. Can I safely disable the blower on one side by disconnecting it from power (a simple disconnect as shown in the manual)? One side of the fireplace is a very small room and when the blower is on it gets way too hot in there so I would like to disable the blower on that side. Is this safe to do?

I have a Regency see-thru NG fireplace, model P121. There is a blower on each side. Can I safely disable the blower on one side by disconnecting it from power (a simple disconnect as shown in the manual)? One side of the fireplace is a very small room and when the blower is on it gets way too hot in there so I would like to disable the blower on that side. Is this safe to do?
If the blowers are optional it should not be a problem. Some units use blowers to allow reduced clearance to a mantle shelf or TV installed above the fireplace. If this is the case, then you should not. I would check the manual. In any case, the blowers do not create any extra heat. They merely move 160 CFM of air through a convection cycle that happens whether a blower is installed or not. The blower just pushes the heated air a little (little being the operative word) further into the room. Without a blower, you will still get all the heat, it will just be concentrated in the area directly in front of the fireplace.

If the blowers are optional it should not be a problem. Some units use blowers to allow reduced clearance to a mantle shelf or TV installed above the fireplace. If this is the case, then you should not. I would check the manual. In any case, the blowers do not create any extra heat. They merely move 160 CFM of air through a convection cycle that happens whether a blower is installed or not. The blower just pushes the heated air a little (little being the operative word) further into the room. Without a blower, you will still get all the heat, it will just be concentrated in the area directly in front of the fireplace.
I looked up the manual, they do not look optional.

I looked up the manual, they do not look optional.
Thanks for the reply and followup! I moved into this house a few months ago and the previous owner had not used the fireplace for several years, so I'm having a maintenance check done. I'll confirm with the service technician if it is OK to disable the fan on one side. I'll update this post for future reference.