regency stove has no collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketroy

Jan 4, 2009
vancouver canada
i have a regency stove that does not have the round external collar on the chimney hole. its just flat and has a sliding baffel about one half inch below the opening. im a little confused as to how a liner would be attached to this.
it looks like the previous owners just let it vent up the unlined chimney, but im not to comfortable with that either.
im tempted to ditch the whole thing and go with a pellet stove ? thanks, Roy

rocketroy said:
i have a regency stove that does not have the round external collar on the chimney hole. its just flat and has a sliding baffel about one half inch below the opening. im a little confused as to how a liner would be attached to this.
it looks like the previous owners just let it vent up the unlined chimney, but im not to comfortable with that either.
im tempted to ditch the whole thing and go with a pellet stove ? thanks, Roy

Hey, Roy...
You sure it's a stove?
Sounds more like Regency wood burning insert. Is there a blower mounted below the ashlip?
If there is, pull it away from the unit & look behind where it was attached..There should be a rating plate with model #, serial # & date of mfr...
The Regency inserts do NOT have a fkue collar.
You need a stainless steel adapter to attach a liner to the top of the unit.
Heat Fab model 4656ss is one that we use.
A new Regency insert comes with 3 little "L-shaped" brackets that attach to the top of the insert with zip screws & to the SS adapter the same way - AFTER you attach it to the liner & insert it into the flue opening.
The baffle underneath is there to protect the top of the firebox & aid in secondary burn

rocketroy said:
i owe you an apology, you are absolutly correct its an insert not a stove.
so i do need a liner , or can i just put in back in place ?
thanks, Roy

Thought so! :)
You SHOULD attach a liner in order to get the correct draft.
Some people will use the "Direct-Connect" technique - which utilizes a short section of liner extending into the first flue tile, but this can lead to drafting & cleaning problems.
A full SS liner from the TOP of your insert to the TOP of your chimney is your best bet...
Also, insulate top & bottom OR full length...
This will give you a good draft, lower creosote build-up, keep the cold out & the heat in...
Good Luck with your install!

Status
Not open for further replies.