Regency u32 soot issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DANELECTRO44

Nov 13, 2014
atlantic beach
I'm new to using this forum and question has probably been asked before, but maybe not like this, so here goes.
We moved from Maryland to North Florida little more than a year ago.
In Maryland we had a gas fireplace and it was great in winter months, so living near the ocean in seasonal North Florida we wanted another.

We did a renovation on the new house and had a Regency U32 ( Gas converted by kit to LP) installed in old fireplace last August. (house built in 1947) The chimney had some work done by a Regency qualified installer he installed the dual shaft and put a big metal box on top and it looked great.
When the LP line was brought in by gas plumber he installed the fireplace box, everything until now seemed perfect. It was installed and had to be allowed to "Burn In" and installer left.

There were some issues with the remote and we ended up turning it on and off by the inside switch, while he was going to get us a new remote (this new remote took over 10 months to get) We contacted him back many times due to heavy sooting in fireplace after as little use of an hour. (After the burn in we noticed how very bad it was) He suggested we try and re-configure the logs, I thought that was unacceptable as he had been paid and should do it himself. We waited for him to come back, calling and calling to try and finish this.
He ended up coming back twice to fix logs, could not get it so it would not soot. The last time he was here ( finally got the remote) he had trouble relighting the pilot, and had confessed to me he had no experience with gas appliances, and never used one in his life. I was thinking he was joking, he was not.

At this point I tried re- configuring the logs and got some results but it still turned black after use.
I called the company that made the fireplace several times and got nothing from them except the fellow I talked to before was out of state , unavailable, out to lunch on and on. i ended up talking to 3 different customer service people, repeating story each time, and no record of my calls I think they just wanted me to go away.
After reading about fireplaces online and the manual .
I see there are certain adjustments to air/ fuel mixture a small wire like attachment on the bottom of the box.

What I would like to know is...who can one call that is an expert, or at least qualified to help in this situation.
I apologize for the size of this letter, but I do not want to keep cleaning my fireplace everyday this winter.
Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks for your time.

The wire underneath is for adjusting your air to fuel mixture ratio,
by opening & closing the air shutter on the burner tube.
When burning LP, you may want that as far open as possible.
Look in your manual under "Aeration."
The specified shutter opening with be there.
Set your logs according to the manual & leave them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.