Regional Creosote Buildup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
I've been noticing a section of my chimney seems to be most suseptible to buildup.
Our's is a lined chimney, and it appears that the most significant build begins to occur
right about where the flue pops into the attic area. I'm willing to bet that our liner
(done by previous owners) was never insulated. I was thinking I could place cement board
around the outside of the flue for the entire length of the attic run to act as a firesafe insulator (about 5').

Any other suggestions??

Cement board has a pretty low R-value and some (I've been told here) has a combustible filler added to it. How about some of the pour-in insulation specifically made for flues?

Too late.....this flue had a cement cap put on top & seals the flue liner,
along w/ the storm collar.

I would wrap it with foil backed insulation. You are talking about a brick chimney right?

BrotherBart said:
I would wrap it with foil backed insulation. You are talking about a brick chimney right?

Yes.....I'm assuming foil side contacting the brick??
Is this type of insulation available at most chains??

Status
Not open for further replies.