Reglazing a tub?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
Can anyone share their experiences with having their tub reglazed? I think I am a perfect candidate for such a thing given a certain bathroom in my house.

I had an antique clawfoot tub re-done a few years ago. The coater recommended powder coating it rather than trying to re-enamel and it came out really nice.

devil in the details- prep work- so it really depends on the contractor or your self if trying a diy system - all of them are types of epoxy coatings. Powder coating biggest failure point is material prep ( remember the cars from the 70's with big round rust spots) second point on powder coat is bad stuff can happen under the coating ( you might not even see the little nick that allowed entrance under and not show up until years later- getting that stuff off is a royal pia.

I would have it professionally done, just wondering about the results people had. If I can change the color of the tub slightly it would make a huge difference as to how the bathroom looks in the end.

I have seen some "pro Jobs" that were horrible.

OK, there is one guy around here that has gotten great reviews. I need to decide what to do about this bathroom. The tile job around the tub isn't perfect but not terrible so I just need to decide whether or not to take out the tub.

My sister had her tub done ... getting on to about 7 years ago. Not a high traffic bathroom but does get used. Holding well... What kind of cost and what expected lifespan for the bathroom before complete redo?

3c54a80f32ffa696c2ad0b35df95873e.jpg this is an 1863 model tub I had redone about 4 years ago. I have no complaints it has held up well this far. I have about $1200 in the tub, refurb job and the fixtures.

Reactions: mwhitnee
I'm not ready to take out the tub. The tile job around it is decent to not-so-good. I have other projects that will be taking priority. I think that maybe I will paint everything and replace the pedestal sink with a vanity and be done with it for now, unless I think about redoing the tile around the tub...

I do really like the tub itself and would like to keep it.

I would have it professionally done, just wondering about the results people had. If I can change the color of the tub slightly it would make a huge difference as to how the bathroom looks in the end.
You can change the color to anything you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.