relacement fire bricks for Morso 1410

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sarahb

Sep 26, 2022
east cambridge/cambs
Hello,
I bought an old Squirrel Morso 1410 and am wondering where I can buy some suitable firebricks without spending a fortune. Online, on Morso Spares, the 2 side bricks alone are £30 apiece ...
My first question is, could I buy any firebricks, for example made of vermiculite, which are cheaper - and just cut them to size, as long as the thickness is ok.( 1") ? If so , what is the best tool/method for cutting them?
I do still have the old side firebricks which were broken in several pieces, and have tried to mend them with fire cement, but am doubtful they will hold up as they are very crumbly.
Any advice would be gratefully received as it seems impossible to buy fire bricks from the shops where I live in the east of England, and no one seems to have the answers ... Many thanks

Did you ever get an answer to this? My understanding was that the firebricks were fine even if cracked, as long as they were in place. My Morso Squirrel has a couple cracks in each firebrick, but they still work fine.

I did a quick Google search and found several UK shops selling firebricks for the Morso 1410 Squirrel. I'm guessing the price was the deal breaker. I haven't cut any to size myself. If I had to, I would probably use my wet saw with a diamond blade. Take this advice with a grain of salt.