Reline Masonry or new exterior class A?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4wydnr

Dec 15, 2008
N. IL
I'm looking to buy an energy king 385 furnace and I'm trying to figure out my best option for the chimney system.

The house has two masonry chimney's in it neither of which go all the way through to the roof. Chimney one ends between the first and second floor. Chimney two ends in the attic a few feet short of the roof.

Here is my question, can I reline the chimney that goes to the attic and connect it to a few feet of chimney pipe to go through the roof? Or should I just get an all new class a chimney to go up the exterior wall of the house? Which would be better and safer?

I just thought I would also add it is 24 feet from the ground to the peak of the roof.

Thanks.

Go with a new SS insulated pipe at the exterior. Safe, easy to clean, should last a lifetime, can be reused.
Mine is by MetalFab, love it. Saved my garage once already when I walked away with an open ash door open.
$1k - $1.5k for your 24', cheap long lasting insurance.
Seek out a mechanical distributor that reps a chimney mfgr. vs. a stove store. Much less expen$ive.
Get a brouchure with all the acc's they have; thimbals, brackets, mounts, caps .....

Well, the chimney reline is out anyway. The chimney goes from about a foot square in the basement to 5"x 13" in the attic which is too small for the furnace.

So, I priced out a ss chimney from the stove place and was quoted $1048, materials only. Priced out from menards $750.

Status
Not open for further replies.