Reload question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m159267

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Mar 12, 2009
East-Central MO
For an EPA fireplace/stove with an outside air kit...
When performing a reload on an established bed of hot coals do you need to crack the door to get it going?
I have the air wide open but I still need to keep the door cracked for 10 minutes or so to get the fire going.
Once going everything works beautiful - tremendous heat & secondaries.
My draft appears to be excellent.
Actually I have 2 OAKs connected - I am wondering if one of the OAKs may be plugged.

It depends on how many coals are left over. If there is a generous bed of hot coals then dry wood should ignite pretty quickly,even with the door closed. Putting one small split of kindling will help the fire ignite quicker. Also, in our stove a N/S reload will ignite faster than an E/W reload. That said, this morning I slept in and we had a smaller hot coal bed. I put a piece of kindling on the coals before loading N/S and then kept the door ajar while making some tea. Closed it maybe 5 minutes later.

If the OAK has flapper in the outdoor vent cover, check to make sure it is still free.

Reactions: Wickets
I agree with Begreen but would add this.
You need to further increase WARM oxygen supply to get it to start when the temperature of your stove has dropped as is typical after a long burn.

I generally follow this procedure with success in the morning when I reload a cooling stove.
I put a 2-4" dia. piece of wood East/West in the back of the firebox to 'prop up' the kindling so as to get air under it, otherwise they can sit and smolder.
I then take a sufficiently long piece of clear plastic tubing or whatever you can find (I.D. 1/8 - 3/16" or so) and blow a steady stream of air into the coals below the kindling.
It will burst into flames within a number of seconds.
Repeat if the fire dies down.
Add some thicker kindling, and you will have a roaring fire in a few minutes.
I believe that your cold outside air kit is working against you, which is why you need inside air until you get a stable fire.

A jet stream air supply is what these were all about in the old days:
vintage-air-fire-bellows-isolated-23597611.jpg

Last edited:
Not familiar with your particular model stove, but if the primary air comes from the front of the box as mine does, it will help immensely if you rake the hotter coals to the front to get them together. If your coals are truly hot (a lot of red glowing coals), the new wood should start to ignite right away with just primary air. In fact, some users have a problem with overfire if they put too much dry wood on too many coals. It can really go nuke on you, but that's not your problem obviously.

If there aren't all that many red glowing ones, or if spread out too much, you may have to "encourage" them for a few minutes.

That bellows may help, but I would just be very careful not to blow any embers out the door.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.