Reloading a cat stove different methods.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wolves1

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2014
Malverne ny
Would love to hear different methods people use when reloading with outside temps let’s say 32 or colder.
I keep the bypass open till I have a nice fire going about 15 min close bypass air on high then lower to 1/2 after 10 then to 1/4 or lower after another 10 min. Someone told me by closing the bypass with air on high can damage the cat I should lower to 1/2 before closing the bypass. Love to here other people methods especially from BK people.

I open my bypass let the cat cool for a minute or so. Then load it up close the bypass let it rip 20-30 minutes back it down as I'm walking back and fourth doing other chores. Being a BK I'm not worried about backing it down in any certain time frame.

Reactions: lsucet
Open bypass. Open top loader. Rake coals forward. Load to capacity with three pieces of 2" kindling on bottom for fast ignition. Close top loader. Let rip until stack is above 400*. Close damper. Leave wide open throttle until cat temps hit 900*. Then the process of backing down the air begins. How fast I back down is all reliant on outside temps and how fast the load is gassing off. Sometimes I end up with a split blocking the hood leading to the cat and I end up with a slower climb in temps. Reach desired cruising temps. Leave alone for 12 hours. Rinse and repeat.

I open my bypass let the cat cool for a minute or so. Then load it up close the bypass let it rip 20-30 minutes back it down as I'm walking back and fourth doing other chores. Being a BK I'm not worried about backing it down in any certain time frame.
The BK stove I believe is difficult to over Fire it the stove has a mechanism that cuts the air if it gets to hot. Am I correct?

The BK stove I believe is difficult to over Fire it the stove has a mechanism that cuts the air if it gets to hot. Am I correct?

Yes sir! As long as you don't have any air leaks that is. Mine shuts itself down in the low-mid 700's which honestly is hotter than I'll ever need.

Would love to hear different methods people use when reloading with outside temps let’s say 32 or colder.
I keep the bypass open till I have a nice fire going about 15 min close bypass air on high then lower to 1/2 after 10 then to 1/4 or lower after another 10 min. Someone told me by closing the bypass with air on high can damage the cat I should lower to 1/2 before closing the bypass. Love to here other people methods especially from BK people.
Who said you can’t close the bypass with the air on high?
There’s been a few rumors floating around that make BKs seem fragile. It’s simply not true. They aren’t near as finicky or fragile as some have been making out...

BK including on high will cut back on its own preventing an over fire condition. I think that the recommendation of burn it on high for 20 to 30 minutes is based on how the thermostat can control intake.
I will not recommend follow the same procedures with a different brand/stove unless manufacturer recommendation for that stove is the same as a BK. I know you asked for BK people but have in mind that the thermostat makes a big difference. Possibly causing an over fire condition on a different stove.
I do a hot fire on every reload but the time is related to type of wood, how packed it is and if when reload a good bed of coals was present. At that point everything depend on all those points mentioned above. But with BK it doesn't matter for how long is on high.
I think the best way is to follow the instructions in the manual for that stove.

Who said you can’t close the bypass with the air on high?
There’s been a few rumors floating around that make BKs seem fragile. It’s simply not true. They aren’t near as finicky or fragile as some have been making out...
They ment cat stoves in general not BK. The idea is that flames would get up to the cat.

Most of the time, when the reload will be done before the CAT temp is below 500°, I turn off the blower, open the bypass, reload, close the bypass, and walk away. I will keep an eye on it to assure the CAT stays lit. If below 500°, the bypass stays open, and a little more air, till I see 500°I can't say enough good things about our Buck 91, pretty simple operation. We burn red and white oak, hickory, and hedge. Period. HTH

Reactions: Blazing
I've had best luck when loading on hot coals with the cat in the active range or near the active range by 1st turning the air all the way up, opening the by-pass, slowly opening the door, raking the coals forward with a little garden rake, loading in the wood north / south. Obviously closing the door then closing the by-pass but keeping the air on max setting for 15 min. I'll turn the air down when the fire establishes and fully chars the new load of wood, usually the cat probe indicator is at 2-3 o'clock and then I turn the stove down to my desired heat setting. A note - when it is very cold out, I usually run the stoves blower on low / medium, I will turn the blower off before reloading and turn it back on when I turn the air down to be desired setting on an established fire.

Reactions: lsucet and tarzan