Remodel - Difficulty in removing corner gas fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

burnermike

Jun 28, 2018
CT, USA
Our split level ranch has a small family room downstairs with a corner fireplace. I want to put in a free-standing wood or pellet stove to supplement the electric baseboard. I'm worried an insert won't be very efficient, and it still uses electricity.

My question: what do you think is involved in removing that corner gas fireplace? I want the walls to meet at 90 degrees and put the freestanding stove in that corner. Would there be much heavy material to remove in the chimney, or could I just rip out the bottom part of the flue (use it for the new free-standing stove), cut out some drywall, and patch it back up?

Pictures attached. The back left corner of the dining room appears to contain the flue from the fireplace below it.

170088849_11_1.jpg 170088849_23_1.jpg

Can you post a pic of the OUTSIDE view of the chimney & the cap?
I can't tell what you have there...
It could be a gas fireplace, or a wood burning fireplace with a gas log set.
Definitely need more info.

This is the only picture I have right now. Sorry it's not the best. We're closing and not yet moved in.

Attachments

• IMG_6055 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_6055 - Copy.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 311
Follow-up for anybody interested:

I had a guy come out and give me a quote on a pellet stove for upstairs and look at the fireplace downstairs. He said the chimney isn't up to code for a real fireplace, but it could take an insert or a pellet stove without modification. There isn't enough room in there for two flues.