Remote Control Thermostat for a whitfield advantage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerry

Dec 18, 2007
Southern New Hampshire
I am looking for a recommendation on remote thermostat for my whitfield advantage stove.

I tried a wall mounted one but running the wire is tacky and i cant put it next to the stove as then the furnace downstairs never kicks on since the room the stove is in gets so warm.

I was thinking about putting it in the hall since then i can regulate the heat there instead of the warm room.

I ran a test run with the wall mounted thermo unit using speaker wire to extend the length but as stated i can not keep this setup as it just to messy and not really having any place to hide the wire. I purchased one remote thermostat but it doesnt even hook up to the simple two wire setup on the back of this stove. it was $200 so i am hesitant to just go buy another one, even though they took it back the hassle wasnt fun.

Thanks in advance

Any millivolt thermostat should work. There are a number of RF remote thermostats on ebay in the $100 range.

I ended up spending $175 on the Breckwell remote for the Breckwell stove mainly because the unit looks controls and displays are nice and big looking.

For a thermostat to work GOOD on an advantage stove
you must have
The ultragrate burn pot.
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/13_bar_Ultra-Grate.jpg
and the digital Control board
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/AdvantageIIandplus_controlb.jpg
otherwise you are not going to be happy with the results.

You do know the stat function turn the stove to LOW mode when it is NOT calling for heat?
and when it does call for heat it run at your heat setting on the baord
it does not SHUT the stove off and on?

My burn grate and control board look just like those pictures. My major concern was the thermostat connection to the stove, i have a jumper in there now and it appears to me that a remote thermostat should just have the receiver hook up to where the jumper is hooked up. Yet the one i bought had many more wires on the receiver end and the supplier really didn't know how it should be hooked up to a two wire system. My electrical skill is pretty much 0 when it comes to that.

I searched online but its just a tad confusing when your looking at a bunch of thermostats not knowing what you actually need. Sorka gave me a lead, with the millivolt and his brand there using. thank you sorka.

I shall try and search using those terms and see if it gets me any closer :)

thanks

Kerry

It you are going to up-grade I would go with the Ultra Grate Replacement Kit
Part No. 12151264 This is the newest grate, 10 bars not 13. This new grate makes a big
difference on the low setting

Status
Not open for further replies.