remote temp sensors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bad LP

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Maine
My indoor boiler install will start in May and I'm looking forward to it. I see a few guys doing remote sensor readings and monitoring.

I'm looking for something much more simple to place at the top of the basement stairs, I'm lazy. In the ideal world I'd watch the bottom and top of of my tanks as well as the supply and return loop from the boiler.

Any leads? I tried Grainger but that was getting silly complicated.

I used digital displays I bought on amazon $17.00 ea I made a case for them. You can extend the probes with Cat 5 my probes in the basement and boiler in garage they are quite accurate too
I then installed a camera and I can view everything from my phone. I have pics if interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My indoor boiler install will start in May and I'm looking forward to it. I see a few guys doing remote sensor readings and monitoring.

I'm looking for something much more simple to place at the top of the basement stairs, I'm lazy. In the ideal world I'd watch the bottom and top of of my tanks as well as the supply and return loop from the boiler.

Any leads? I tried Grainger but that was getting silly complicated.
I have my tank temp sensor reading out via a simple device that displays 2 temp readings (too lazy to go downstairs to see what it actually is). It is simply connected via thermostat wires so if you want to run wires I imagine you can mount the display anywhere. I would imagine you could use the exact same thing for supply/return temps. My system uses a temp sensor that is similar to a probe that drops into a Indirect DHW tank. Mine run back to the boiler that controls a mixing valve but I imagine you can run it back to the same type of display that I use for the tanks.

Reactions: gls289 and ALL4GLH
John,

What is the head unit? Running wire is the easy part and it's free. I'm sure I have it on the shelf.

John,

What is the head unit? Running wire is the easy part and it's free. I'm sure I have it on the shelf.
You made me walk downstairs:)! It is small, maybe 3'x4"

Attachments

• IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 189
Remote BB-Q thermometers.
I use the Maverick ET732 dual probe...good for about 300' range. They now have the ET736 that is dual probe and wifi...about $80...if I ever break down and go to a smartphone I would probably switch to the 736.
I know of people using wireless security cameras to monitor the fire (if you have a window in the loading door) or to watch a gauge(s)

Thanks John. You needed the walk. LOL

I'll take a look at the Maverick units as well.

Reactions: JohnDolz
Reactions: brenndatomu
I use the Maverick ET732 dual probe...good for about 300' range. They now have the ET736 that is dual probe and wifi...about $80...if I ever break down and go to a smartphone I would probably switch to the 736.
I know of people using wireless security cameras to monitor the fire (if you have a window in the loading door) or to watch a gauge(s)

Yep, I have the 732. Very handy. You can put the display wherever you want. Mine is right in front of me right now in front of my computer monitor, after supper it will follow me to the couch & sit on the coffee table beside the TV remote. It shows storage temps at the 1/4 & 3/4 up points.

I also have some wired ones, dual display, in the basement. Got those off Ebay from the Far East. They also show storage, and my DHW stuff (tank & exchanger temps). I have more I had planned to get hooked up way before this for system & boiler supply & return but that's on the stalled project list....

I learned that if I changed the Google search to Data Loggers tons of options also came in.

The 2 probe Maverick looked like a winner.

Yep, I have the 732. Very handy. You can put the display wherever you want. Mine is right in front of me right now in front of my computer monitor, after supper it will follow me to the couch & sit on the coffee table beside the TV remote
Hmmm...you have a camera in my living room? ;lol

Reactions: maple1
Quick question, can you make to probe wires longer? I know some devices ae very particular (i.e my son just accidentally cut the wire for our magnetic driveway alarm. Wire can't be fixed and they don't sell replacements:().

I would think that if the sensor is just a 10k ohm resistor that you could add almost what every length of wire that you want. The resistance of the wire will be very low relative to the resistance of the sensor.

Quick question, can you make to probe wires longer? I know some devices ae very particular (i.e my son just accidentally cut the wire for our magnetic driveway alarm. Wire can't be fixed and they don't sell replacements:().
I wouldn't see why not...you just hafta buy the special wire...like for a thermocouple...

I also use a ET732 to monitor my flue and plenum temps. However I don't take it with me throughout the house...lol Seeing the Kuuma regulates it's own air, I don't have to worry about that. I mainly use it to satisfy my own curiosity and as a guide to let me know when it's time for a reload.

I also use a ET732 to monitor my flue and plenum temps. However I don't take it with me throughout the house...lol Seeing the Kuuma regulates it's own air, I don't have to worry about that. I mainly use it to satisfy my own curiosity and as a guide to let me know when it's time for a reload.

I do, to let me know how storage is doing and if I have to go back down stairs to reload or if I'm good until tomorrow. Well, don't keep it with me around the house, but it's handy beside the couch if it will prevent getting up & going up & down the stairs. It also can let me know if a load bridged - temps won't climb like they should.

there is noting special about thermocouple wires, you could just use cat5
Hmm...OK, different than what I've been told previously...but heck, what do I know 'bout it...nuttin! ;)

Hmm...OK, different than what I've been told previously...but heck, what do I know 'bout it...nuttin! ;)

I should clarify. I assumed that the original wire were long enough to get away from the high temp of the heat source. I would say after that you could use anything, but you would need some sort of high temp wire if it was say within a flue. But good luck making a good connection. Silver solder maybe??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as stated above rtd sensors can be extended with no specific wire, some recommend shielded wire, at one end if long distances and near higher voltage cabling. Thermocouples are specific in their temp ranges and do require specific extension wire and connectors for each type of thermocouple.

Ive had great luck with the x300. http://www.controlbyweb.com/x300/
Their controller has a hard wired connection to a home network and if it's wireless - you can then access it on your cell. Has capacity for a ton (9 I think) sensors that can be a variety of waterproof and/or high temp sensors with their own address for talking to the controller and thus don't need home run wiring to the controler. Includes conrol for up to 3 relays using temp data as well as extensive data logging. I have three sensors inside the Garn to monitor energy stored as well as more in other parts of the system. Running for a couple years now and my waterproof sensors in the Garn took a dump after a year or so. Just dropped a dry well in from the old anode hole - and now keep em dry. Slick unit! Dan

Well this lands sort of in the middle. Better than stupid simple and does not require a degree to assemble. Having it on my phone has merit if I'm off snowmobiling or working versus sitting on my butt.

Clearly affordable too!!

Hi Guys. I'm a little late on this thread but for simply monitoring your other gauges and saving you the walk downstairs, has anyone considered using an old cell phone as an IP camera. My boiler is in my detached garage and I too got tired of walking out to see whether it was time to reload. The only thing that has to work on the old phone is the camera. Your viewer in the house is your everyday smartphone. Just google "Web of Cam" to get the app. The only downside is you have to be within your wifi range. No monitoring when you are not at home.

I've used 2-wire low voltage wire to extend the reach of K-type sensors with no noticeable temperature error. Of course, if the reading is +/- 1 or 2 degrees, that "error" really doesn't make any difference. And I use Cat-5e for extension of DS18B20 sensors, about 50 feet being the longest so far, and they work just fine.