Remote Temperature Monitoring by Z-Wave or Zigbee?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Has anyone set up remote temperature monitoring by Z-Wave or Zigbee? I have a setup now that turns the fan on to high when the top plate reaches X degrees, but thought it would be interesting to see if anyone has set up actual monitoring of the temperature.

Not for the stove, but I have zwave and zigbee sensors throughout the home. Zwave is generally more reliable and has a greater range due to it running on a lower frequency (that does not collide with 2.4GHz Wifi). A bit more expensive than zigbee, though.

For monitoring the stove, you'd need a bit more than the usual room temperature sensor. I have no idea if there are sensors out there that can measure this high. Sure, you can always use an arduino+wifi to monitor it.

I have a contact sensor hook up to the thermo controller so I get a notification/text when it goes above a certain temperature. I just think it would be neat to see the temperature remotely.

If one just wants to watch the temperature from another part of the house, that'd be the way to go.
I thought that was what OP was asking for?

Not sure. If he talks about zwave and zigbee, that sounded more like an integration into a smarthome system.

I use wink along with zwave motion sensors. I have one in my stove room they also measure temperature. But nothing fancy to measure the stove temp or adjust fans. But I suppose you could with an arduino and something to turn the dial on the fans or thermostat

Are you using a sensor that knows when the fan kicks on or do you have a sensor measuring the temp of the stove?

I am a newbie and in the very beginning phase of getting into home automation. I plan on putting a temperature sensor in each bedroom, so I know what the different temps are. Curious how my house will be heating once I have my stove put in.

I have temperature sensors in most rooms, and there's definitively a gradient away from the stove. Depends on how far and how many doorways are in between...

I already have a thermo switch that turns the fan on high when the stove top gets to a certain temp. BBQ, even if it was z-wave or zigbee, doesn't go that high. I did a bunch of web searching and couldn't find anything.

I wouldn't rely on home automation stuff that is critical, ie, burning your house down if it fails.

I use Wyze cameras to monitor mine. That's the display from the Auber thermocouples. I'm not at home and just took that picture.

Attachments

• C8AF11DC-1B15-40A7-A36F-8846C6ED2273.png
    C8AF11DC-1B15-40A7-A36F-8846C6ED2273.png
    563.4 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: velvetfoot
I added an Auber wireless setup this winter. It's made a huge improvement for me with stove monitoring. I am looking at the receiver right over my monitor now.

I am looking at the receiver right over my monitor now.

I'm looking at my thermo switch, next to the stove, right now from across the room, lol.

But seriously, I would have thought there'd be something zigbee or zwave. There are plenty of wireless thermocouples, but they seem to always use some proprietary long range protocol aim at industry.