Remote thermometer ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Does anyone have anything rigged up so they can read their stove temp from another room?
I have a stove in my basement and would like to be able to see a temperature for reference from upstairs. BBQ thermometer?

I use z-wave home automation motion sensors. They tell me the temp and if someone is breaking in ;). Those are connected through a wink home automation hub. I also have a smoke/co2 alarm on there.

I have a PTZ IP camera that can look at the whole room. It's a consumer device, so it's insecure to the point that it's an active danger to everything around it. (This is the norm for internet-connected electronics.)

I set up an isolation subnet for my consumer electronics where every IP is isolated with default-deny on everything. Anything that "needs" to talk to outside servers to work goes in the garbage can. This is enough to mitigate the usual problems with these devices.

Correct it tells the temp each sensor sees and the average between all other sensors in your system.
90ac8e0651c656454ca445ba5b2f1538.png 692a8d635b854d3ac37d7973c3167bfc.png

Last edited by a moderator: