Remote Thermostats used with Pellet Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have the correct manual for your unit on page 1 it mentions the mode setting on the thermostats remote unit.

The thermostats remote has a selectable mode, if it is in on mode the stove will be on, if it is in off mode the stove will be off, it will only answer to temperature settings if it is in THERMO mode.

ETA: IN addition the receiver has to be set to Remote operation mode. Otherwise it will either be on and not respond to the remote or off. In on mode the stove will keep right on doing what it was doing and be controllable by its on/off switch.

If you were talking about hooking a 24 volt transformer up to it, you might be thinking that because the manual calls for a 24 v. thermostat, that it needs a 24v supply. My stoves, and most others I believe, are just looking for a contact closure. Smokey probably hit on the cause/problem/solution. I have the same remote as you are trying to use. Just closes the contact across the two terminals and away it goes.

Yep, had it in remote on the box, and nothing happened. I'll try rechecking the wires tonight when I get home again. Gotta go to work now.

And yes, the instructions for the remote said something about needing to be hooked to a transformer to get the electronic ignitor to work, so that's where I thought I needed that. Maybe I need to take a hard look at the receiver and see it it's got bad solder points. :eek:hh:

homeskillet said:
Does any use a remote thermostat with there pellet stove. All the Skytech info says their remotes are for Gas stoves.....what gives

I use the 3301p and it is great. As far as the lost remote issue goes, it comes with a wall bracket, and mine stays in it all the time. Running a wire to where the stat needs to be in my home was not an option. So if it is worth $99 dollars to you for not running a wire go for it.

Haubera said:
Yep, had it in remote on the box, and nothing happened. I'll try rechecking the wires tonight when I get home again. Gotta go to work now.

And yes, the instructions for the remote said something about needing to be hooked to a transformer to get the electronic ignitor to work, so that's where I thought I needed that. Maybe I need to take a hard look at the receiver and see it it's got bad solder points. :eek:hh:

The igniter is for a gas furnace, which is what the remotes were originally intended for, hence the need for the transformer. It has nothing to do with our applications. Get a cheap volt/ohm meter and check to see if the contacts of the receiver are closing when the remote calls for heat. They are a cheap, very handy tool. It could be that the receiver and transmitter are not on same frequency and you have to resynch them.

Does the remote go through the different settings
if you press mode?
If no, check the batteries in the remote. Just because they
come in a package doesn't mean they are fresh.
Also verify that the remote can send a signal to
the thing that connects to the stove.
Also, isn't there a switch on the receiver that is
supposed to be in the middle?
My 3301P kicks the stove on when I press mode and navigate
to THERMO. As mentioned, I have never lost the remote.
It sits in the holder on the wall in the hallway. Never had
a reason to remove it from it's location.

Receiver is set to remote. The remote goes through all the stages when I press mode. I haven't checked the multi-meter thing yet as I've tried putting a wall thermostat on the wires, with the same result of nothing happening. The service techs told me to make sure it's set to on/off mode, which it is, so I'm really starting to wonder about a bad control board. Or could the wires be at fault? Maybe between all of us we'll get it to work eventually.

OK, I have no idea why all of a sudden it started to work. I did the things the tech said, and nothing, so I was getting cold and just turned it on manually so it would warm up, and after about an hour it went to shut down mode by itself. The room started cooling down too much, and I turned up the remote setting, and the stove just turned on. Thanks for everyone's input, and we'll see if it keeps going. :smirk: And hopefully some of the discussions here on my issue will help someone else if they have the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.