Removing Auger from Castle Serenity?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mmcc

Dec 12, 2016
Northeast Ohio
The auger on my recently acquired Castle Serenity isn't feeding reliably, and I think I might have something stuck in it. When I run the auger in diagnostics mode, it moves maybe 3 degrees, waits about 1 second, moves 3 degrees, waits about 1 second etc. etc. etc. I'm assuming that is expected behavior. However, pellets only drop rarely.

I don't see any instructions in the manual for removing the auger, and the proper method doesn't seem obvious to me. I've removed the back panel, and I think I need to remove the auger motor. Which set (or sets) of fasteners do I need to remove? Attached photo show what I think are the options at hand. I also attached the exploded parts diagram.

Thanks!

IMG_2231.jpg Capture.JPG

To pull the entire auger assembly, there are 4 (circled #4’s) that you remove and the whole assembly will slide down and out. Just keep track of the bearing on the end of the shaft. Some stay on it some fall when you slide them out.

Reactions: mmcc
To pull the entire auger assembly, there are 4 (circled #4’s) that you remove and the whole assembly will slide down and out. Just keep track of the bearing on the end of the shaft. Some stay on it some fall when you slide them out.

I removed those fasteners and I can rotate the motor by had some - and the auger rotates along with it - but the auger is definitely not sliding out. Do I need to smack something - the bracket the motor is on, or perhaps the auger itself?

I'm on hold with tech support even as I type...

Well tech support’s theory is that the blower voltages were set too high. That could certain be the case. If there was a jam I think it is cleared now from my moving the auger around by hand by twisting the motor. I’m going to button it up and try again tomorrow.

I still think something was binding, debris, bearings. I don’t follow their logic about to much voltage but they know more than i do lol

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I still think something was binding, debris, bearings. I don’t follow their logic about to much voltage but they know more than i do lol
Maybe Ssyko, but then again probably not..... :eek:

Maybe Ssyko, but then again probably not..... :eek:
The theory, I think, is that the air flow rate was too high compared to the pellet feed rate.

There could have been something crudding up the feed works as well, but I'm not sure.

In any event, I now have it buttoned back up and it ignited properly on the first try and has been running for about an hour.

Cool. :cool: