Removing Fire Pot CB 1200 Quadra-fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyGpellet

Mar 7, 2013
Newbie, I"ve had my pellet stove for 8 years and I'm having issues with the holes closing,and can't open ash door etc. I thought I'd remove the fire pot, open holes and repair the ash door. The problem I'm having is trying to pull out the fire pot with removing the igniter. Any suggestions or tips?

The igniter has to be removed, before removing pot?

Why remove the pot? Use a Wire wheel on a cordless drill or a small chisel and break up the Carbon.

Why are the holes closing up? I only clean those bottom 8 holes twice a yr. once mid season and at the end of the yr. It really only needs done once a year. At least on mine anyways.

As for pot removal? You will need a new gasket. I didn't use a stock Lytherm gasket. I used a 1/2" style flat gasket. Cut to length, then cemented down to the bottom, now it is reusable, instead of one use, like the factory gasket.

The pot door is hard to open because of Carbon on the flat plate. Open igniter access area, lube linkage, then grind top plate with drill, and all should be well.

I replaced the stock nut and bolt with an actual shoulder bolt. The factory bolt is all threads and can be over tightened. A shoulder bolt can only be tightened to the end of the threads. A trip with the stock bolt to your local hardware, will yield a new bolt, nut, and maybe a washer.

It's been about 3 yrs since I have removed my pot. Looking back, I didn't need to then, but didn't know any better. Plenty of ways of cleaning that bottom plate. It's just some carbon build up. Get a good light, chisel or drill. Go to town.

on my 1200 the bolt that holds the linkage came loose and stopped the trap door from opening I did replace the bolt as dex said and all was fine ( just throwing it out there)

The igniter has to be removed, before removing pot?

Why remove the pot? Use a Wire wheel on a cordless drill or a small chisel and break up the Carbon.

Why are the holes closing up? I only clean those bottom 8 holes twice a yr. once mid season and at the end of the yr. It really only needs done once a year. At least on mine anyways.

As for pot removal? You will need a new gasket. I didn't use a stock Lytherm gasket. I used a 1/2" style flat gasket. Cut to length, then cemented down to the bottom, now it is reusable, instead of one use, like the factory gasket.

The pot door is hard to open because of Carbon on the flat plate. Open igniter access area, lube linkage, then grind top plate with drill, and all should be well.

I replaced the stock nut and bolt with an actual shoulder bolt. The factory bolt is all threads and can be over tightened. A shoulder bolt can only be tightened to the end of the threads. A trip with the stock bolt to your local hardware, will yield a new bolt, nut, and maybe a washer.

It's been about 3 yrs since I have removed my pot. Looking back, I didn't need to then, but didn't know any better. Plenty of ways of cleaning that bottom plate. It's just some carbon build up. Get a good light, chisel or drill. Go to town.

Thanks, I kinda figured that I had to remove the igniter...just thought that there was a trick somone had to get around it. My flame was getting real lazy and soot on the glass, so I figured it was time. My unit has been used real hard over ther past few years and needs and good cleaning and teardown. I already attempted to remove the fire pot, but only could get it out halfway. Disconnected the ceramic wire nuts, and rod. since I'm so far in this process I think I'll clean and give it a good inspection.

I probably used approx. 1 1/2 ton of pellets this year, so I think it's due. I'm happy I found this message board...it looks like a great site! I'm off to the parts store in the morn. to pick up a new gasket, igniter and door gasket. I think my fire pot should be OK after some TLC. Besides, after finding that a new one is 300 plus, I think I can make mine work for a couple of more years.

Thanks for the quick response and input!

Status
Not open for further replies.