Removing part # 7 Resolute lll

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cabinrat

Feb 5, 2022
Hutchinson, MN
Hi, first time posting. I could not find anything on this subject using search.

I recently purchased a used Vermont Castings Resolute lll. I have removed the rear, left and right castings. I broke off the head of the bolt holding the right casting leaving around a 1 1/2” threaded portion that is very hard to get at effectively. I discovered that the cast part with baffles that is located right above the broken bolt is removable. I just am not sure how to best remove that part (#7). It appears to be cemented in place but I see no mechanical fastener. Looking for a technique to get it out unbroken!

Tim

Soak it in Kroil or PB Blaster for a day or two. Hammer on stud end to try and break the rust on the threads. Use a vice grip to remove. It if snaps off at the base just drill it out and retap.

Soak it in Kroil or PB Blaster for a day or two. Hammer on stud end to try and break the rust on the threads. Use a vice grip to remove. It if snaps off at the base just drill it out and retap.
This is the way

i believe he is asking how to remove part 7, not the bolt? maybe i'm mistaken.

Last reply is correct. I want to get part # 7 removed so that I can access the broken bolt much easier. As mentioned earlier it appears to be set in cement (furnace type). I am looking for some help with a technique to safely remove it. It seems to be firmly in place. Maybe tapping with hammer and gently prying will work but a good place to pry is hard to find ?

Good advice thank you! I have successfully removed part # 7 and the frozen bolt remnant. Other challenges remain but I won this one. I’m sure I will be back asking for more of your wisdom! Tim

Reactions: rwh63