Replace auger motor or what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wantsomeheat

Aug 30, 2018
lachine
My PI40 Winslow pellet insert is acting erratically this year. Just started it for the season recently and am having some issues with it. The stove will for some unknown reason will stop feeding pellets and the burn pot wil burn all pellets in it and go out. Sometimes it will show a 2 short blink red trouble light after that and sometimes before the fire goes out. I have had it so this 2 short blink red light while there are still pellets in the burn pot but I believe that it has quit feeding in both instances. The confusing thing is that I can turn off the unit and turn it back on and hit the start button and the pellets will feed as normal and the ignition will proceed as normal as well. The stove will run for varying amounts of time and then for whatever reason will decide to stop feeding pellets again. The time frame between these events may be hours or minutes. The fact that the stove will always work as it should when restarted tells me that the auger motor is ok. At least in my untrained brain anyway. I have recently replaced the igniter, the over heat switch and the proof of fire switch. I have also cleaned the air passageways for the circulation fan and the fan itself. I plan on cleaning the duct going up the chimney and the combustion chamber passageways also very soon. I have not changed the Auger motor, main circuit board or the vacuum switch. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Jim

The 2 red light flashes indicate's that the proof
of fire switch is open. Not getting warm enough
to have the auger feed pellets or you have the heat set to low
Try removing the switch (located by the combustion blower)
and clean the ash buildup on it try your stove and see if it is any better

The 2 red light flashes ii is open. Not getting warm enough
to have the auger feed pellets or you have the heat set to low
Try removing the switch (located by the combustion blower)
and clean the ash buildup on it try your stove and see if it is any better
I haven't done that in a good while. I will try that when I clean the stove to see if it makes the difference. Thanks for the suggestion. Do these switches require frequent cleaning to function properly?

I clean mine once a year but that's me I am a little anal when it
comes to maintenance. I also feel that's why I have only ever
had to replace one combustion motor in 21 years

I am Quite certain that the cleaning you suggested did the trick for me. The stove ran continuously through the night last night without any stops in the auger. The POF switch was dirtier than I have ever found it. Usually it is a quick wipe down situation with it but needed a bit more effort this time to get it clean. I don't know when was the last time I cleaned it but I now know that I should keep a maintenance list so that I do these things and nothing slips through the cracks. I never thought of HEAT being such an essential life need as I do now since I moved from the balmy south to this Northern Michigan Ice and snow environment. I never appreciated summertime as much as I do these days. Thanks so much for your quick response here and for the great reminder about the essence of good maintenance practices. Jim