Replaced XXV ash pan gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet_Pete

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2014
Franklin County, MA
Since there don't seem to be any threads on this to date, here's one from my gasket change-out today. Took advantage of the balmy 60+ weather and shut the stove down so I could do both the door & ash pan gaskets. I was ready to buy many feet of 3/8" rope gasket, but thanks to my helpful stove shop, I learned that the ash pan gasket is actually of the "tadpole" variety (see below), with a round edge and a "flange" which also has an adhesive side.
P1030037.JPG
The tadpole gasket adheres to a light-gauge bracket which then bolts on to the inside of the stove. After some head-scratching, I figured out that I would have to remove the piece of steel that catches on the backside of the gasket bracket, which is held to the ash pan door assembly via two 7/16" bolts (actually must be metric b/c 7/16" was a little loosey goosey). **Note that those bolts also hold the cast iron ash lip onto the front, so watch your fingers, toes and tile!**

In the pic below you can see the 7/16" bolt lower center. The top little silver bolts is 1 of 6 holding the gasket bracket in place. The other one you see actually holds the hinge on, and the one next to holds the gasket bracket.
P1030035.JPG

The old gasket came off easy, and it appeared that silicone had been used in addition to the self-adhesive stuff. Got that all off (scraper, wire brush), and decided to put a fine bead of gasket cement along the inside bend of the bracket just in case...like I said, there is no thread on this yet to tell me it wasn't necessary! I suspect it's not necessary since the tadpole is basically clamped in place, but I figure it can't hurt...until I have to replace it again! :mad:

I didn't take a pic of the gasket & channel while uninstalled - I was too busy cursing and scraping and getting covered in black stuff - but basically the self-adhesive side lays right down on the wide channel flange, and the round part of the gasket forms a "bead" lining the outer part of the channel. Found out the hard way that I ought to have poked holes in the new gasket where the screw holes were BEFORE I tried to reinstall.

Got that all back on, then did the door gasket. What a PIA! Old cement was really in there and had to scrape with every tool in the box before it was satisfactory. All done though - another 30 minutes dry time and I can fire up again. Phew! :)
P1030036.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatherof2
Any particular reason make you decide to change out the gaskets? General maintenance? Any difference in the performance of the stove after? Looks good by the way and great info for when I complete mine someday!

Any particular reason make you decide to change out the gaskets? General maintenance? Any difference in the performance of the stove after?

General maintenance - badly failed dollar bill test all around. Can't say I've notice any performance difference - mostly notice that I now have to use some effort to push the door closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.