Replacement Chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamer

Jul 15, 2008
Southern Vt
I have a Stihl 290 aka farm boss and it is time for a new chain. The last one I bought seems to have needed sharpening a lot more than previous chains for this saw and my Jonsered.
What is a good name for replacement and is there a different type of chain that will hold an edge better than others?
Thanks

I will have to assume that your MS290 is .325 pitch like mine is..If that is the case you are a little more limited then with the 3/8 chain..

Anyway all I run is OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super Comfort (RSC)...

I just think that the Stihl chain holds it's edge better then others.. It's jmo tho..

southbound said:
I just think that the Stihl chain holds it's edge better then others..
I concur. I use the RS.

I have been debating on going 3/8...My father in law is a logger and he hates the wide kerf...He have me a Oregon rim sprocket set up in 3/8 to get me to switch..

The reason I consider it is the availability of more types of chains to run... I just don't know if the little 290 will pull it as good.

Since the muffler mod it has been a great saw...

I'll third that.

I have been quite happy with Stihl chains.

Woodsman Pro

Now being somewhat of a skeptic, I ordered two loops of 28RC from Baileys. Well today I put one to the test on my Husky 51. I was cutting Mesquite. Nothing over 12 inches but to cut to the chase for the price this chain is well worth it.I put two tanks through the saw, and the chips just kept on a cumming. I never did completely bury the bar (16 B/C) but I am most impressed with this chain for the price. Ken

I have nothing but good things to say about the semi-chisel that I got from my Stihl dealer. Holds an edge much better than the safety junk the saw came with.

I only use stihl yellow tag or woodland pro full chisel from baileys. The woodland pro is almost half the cost of the stihl and seems to hold an edge just as well.

Just put a new Stihl rsc chain on the farmboss today. The original chain lasted about two years. Sharpened the old one a couple times but couldn't get it like it was. This new chain is ridiculous. Slices through red oak like butter. Dern!

P.S. Anyone got extra tickets to the Springsteen concert Sunday night in Buffalo?...Hey bus driver..

Status
Not open for further replies.