Replacement Thermo disc for Fireplace extrordinair large hybrid part 228-30050

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
Hi,
The insert is 8 years old. I had to replace the disc and bracket about 4 years ago. So, I am worried that is will crap soon. They are about $55. Other discs can be had for much less. Anybody remove the rivets from this set up and screw a different disc to the bracket? Other discs from Midwest hearth can be had for $12. Thanks.

$10-12 is typical for for a thermostatic snap switch, but 100% markup is not uncommon. This one is more expensive because it come mounted on a custom bracket with an o-ring gasket to protect the wiring. It can be fixed with just the snap switch replacement as long as it's a proper match. The case depth of the switch is important for good contact. If chosing an alternative, make sure that the replacement is normally open (NO) and has all the same specs for on temp, differential, amperage rating, case and connector type. The switch specs are often printed on the side of the switch. Pop rivets are used for mounting.

Yes. I am wondering if someone has already figured this out. Otherwise, I think I will buy the $55 switch then look to get a thermo switch that can be mounted to the bracket of the one that I remove. So, I can use it as a back up. I was hoping someone already did this.