Replacement with Astria Ladera or Quadra Fire Pioneer II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoparMan

Mar 15, 2022
PA
Hello all,

I have a 1993 Majestic RC36 open fireplace and want to replace with high efficiency zero clearance wood burner

The house is 2400 sq ft and the fire place is in a larger room w/ high ceilings and open path to the upstairs.

The astria looks like it will fit in the chase as is it needs much less cleareance but has a max 18"log size 55K BTU, heats up to 1500 sq ft

the quadrfire fits 22" inch logs 68K btu up to 2600 sq ft but i think i have to do some do some reframing it needs more clearance on the side .

So basically the quadrafire costs about $1000 more plus the cost of framing the chase.

1. Are these fireplaces good and is one particularly better than the other?
2. Most of my logs are 18" but i'm thinking that i'm at the max length loading the box will be more difficult
3. I'm feeling like i will kick my self later if i get the smaller fireplace
4. also looks like the astria is catalytic the quadrafire is non-catalytic.....i was think non-cat would be easier not having to deal w/ the converter and replacement. any advantages to cat vs non?

thanks in advance

Last edited:
What is the goal with the new fireplace, occasional burning, mostly night and weekends? Or is the intent to burn 24/7 during cold weather to heat the house?

What is the goal with the new fireplace, occasional burning, mostly night and weekends? Or is the intent to burn 24/7 during cold weather to heat the house?
With my current i just burn in the evenings to enjoy the fire.......I have propane forced are as primary heat.

I have been working from home the last 10 years so i could burn 24/7 if i wanted.

I will definitely burn almost every day but do not know if i will burn 24/7 the entire season. But I was thinking of burning continuosly during very cold times. I never burned wood as primary heat before so I'm not 100% sure where it will go.

I'm just concerned if i buy the astria my logs are all about 18" so they are at the max size it can accommodate.

Just thinking should i put the extra money in for the bigger unit even if i don't use it. Can't really go back to the well.

The other concern is the catalytic in the astria, i have heard the are high maintenance, looks like the quadrafire does not have one.

Take a look at the Pacific Energy FP30 and see if that will fit. It takes 18" wood, N/S and E/W.

Hello all,

I have a 1993 Majestic RC36 open fireplace and want to replace with high efficiency zero clearance wood burner

The house is 2400 sq ft and the fire place is in a larger room w/ high ceilings and open path to the upstairs.

The astria looks like it will fit in the chase as is it needs much less cleareance but has a max 18"log size 55K BTU, heats up to 1500 sq ft

the quadrfire fits 22" inch logs 68K btu up to 2600 sq ft but i think i have to do some do some reframing it needs more clearance on the side .

So basically the quadrafire costs about $1000 more plus the cost of framing the chase.

1. Are these fireplaces good and is one particularly better than the other?
2. Most of my logs are 18" but i'm thinking that i'm at the max length loading the box will be more difficult
3. I'm feeling like i will kick my self later if i get the smaller fireplace
4. also looks like the astria is catalytic the quadrafire is non-catalytic.....i was think non-cat would be easier not having to deal w/ the converter and replacement. any advantages to cat vs non?

thanks in advance
Which ZC fireplace did you go with? I looked at the ladera and the pioneer II today. Like them both but definitely different looks and different sizes. Thank you so much