Replacing a 8in wood stove with 6in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FireGuy30

Mar 22, 2017
USA
I just recently purchased a foreclosed home that the previous owners did a number on. The wood stove in the house was all messed up so I went out and purchased a new one. The old stove piping was behind a wall. So it had a 12in outer pipe with 8in double wall pipe inside running straight up and out the roof.

We took the wall out and the new stove I bought has a 6in opening. So I plan on running 6in single wall pipe up to the ceiling then using a 6" to 8" adapter to connect the 8in double wall that was used before. The problem is that the hole in the ceiling and roof is 12". I plan on keeping the 12" pipe over the 8" in the attic and through the roof even though it might not be required.

Basically my issue is the hole on the inside ceiling. Does anyone know if they make something that has a 6" or 8" hole that can be used in this situation. I would prefer not to try and patch the ceiling to bring the 12" hole down to 6 or 8?

I did see some decorative rings that can be used at the ceiling and while they look nice most of them are only maybe 2" in width. Thanks for any tips.

Something like this would be perfect I think but it would need to have a wider decorative ring.

http://www.menards.com/main/heating.../6-trim-collar-black-each/p-1444432195398.htm

Hesitant to give advice without seeing the setup. Can we get some pictures please?

I'll take a better picture tonight if needed when I get home and post it. Basically right now we took the old fireplace out and the 8in double wall with the 12in single wall pipe around it. So it's just a square hole in the ceiling with a 12in single wall pipe all the way up.

Like I said with the old setup they had 8in double wall pipe with 12in single wall pipe over it all the way from the stove right through the ceiling. It will save a lot of time and money if I can figure out something to make that 12in square hole look good with the 6in to 8in adapter right at the ceiling connecting to the 8in double wall pipe.

If I just connect everything the way it is now I'll have a 4in open gap between the 6 to 8 adapter and the 12in single wall pipe at the ceiling.

Attachments

• 20170311_194110.jpg
    20170311_194110.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I don't know what you mean by 6 to 8 adapter? Are you trying to reuse any of the old chimney? If it was me personally I would run new 6 inch up through the existing 12 inch pipe, using the 12 inch pipe as a chase that should give you the required clearance around the 6 inch class A.

I don't know what you mean by 6 to 8 adapter? Are you trying to reuse any of the old chimney? If it was me personally I would run new 6 inch up through the existing 12 inch pipe, using the 12 inch pipe as a chase that should give you the required clearance around the 6 inch class A.

Yeah they make adapters that go from 6" pipe to 8" pipe. The 8" double wall piping that was installed before looks brand new that's why I didn't want to replace it. But even if I ran new 6" double wall pipe that wouldn't fix the problem I'm having. There is a 12x12 square hole in the ceiling with a 12" pipe. So I really just need to know if they make something that would fill in the extra space if I run 6" or 8" pipe through the 12" hole. I don't really want a 4" open gap in the ceiling between the 12" and 8" pipe.

A 4in wide trim or ceiling collar would probably work but I just can't find one anywhere. I wasn't sure if there was something else made out there already just for this situation.

I'll take a better picture tonight if needed when I get home and post it. Basically right now we took the old fireplace out and the 8in double wall with the 12in single wall pipe around it. So it's just a square hole in the ceiling with a 12in single wall pipe all the way up.

Like I said with the old setup they had 8in double wall pipe with 12in single wall pipe over it all the way from the stove right through the ceiling. It will save a lot of time and money if I can figure out something to make that 12in square hole look good with the 6in to 8in adapter right at the ceiling connecting to the 8in double wall pipe.

If I just connect everything the way it is now I'll have a 4in open gap between the 6 to 8 adapter and the 12in single wall pipe at the ceiling.
It's possible that old fireplace chimney pipe is not appropriate for wood stove usage due to a lower temperature rating. Is the 8" pipe insulated or are there just air gaps between the layers?

It's possible that old fireplace chimney pipe is not appropriate for wood stove usage due to a lower temperature rating. Is the 8" pipe insulated or are there just air gaps between the layers?

The fireplace we pulled out was a wood burning. Or thats what the label on it said once we took the wall out. The 8in pipe is standard double wall insulated. The 12 in pipe that was over it was just thin single wall.

Unfortunately wood burning fireplace chimney is often rated at 1700º. Wood stoves need chimney rated at 2100º. You may be ok if that is the chimney rating, but check to be sure. Is there a label on the pipe that says the brand and part number? That would help identify it.

12" hole is exactly what's needed for the ceiling support box of my 2 duravent chimney systems. Made for 6" class A chimney for modern woodstoves. You'd still need to deal with the roof flashing.

Attachments

• IMG_20170324_095833.jpg
    IMG_20170324_095833.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20170324_095847.jpg
    IMG_20170324_095847.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 138
Seriously, it's perfect. 12" square hole and a two inch wide trim ring.

I'll bet the hole cut in your roof is also the right width to provide 2" clearance for 6" class A. The roofer can swap out the flashing.

Attachments

• IMG_20170324_100843.jpg
    IMG_20170324_100843.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited by a moderator:
Would a new EPA stove, designed for 6" pipe, burn OK, using an 8" chimney? I don't know the answer to that, just food for thought.

Honestly I think you really need to get a pro out to inspect what you have and see if it is useable for what you want to do. It sounds very suspect to me but it may be fine.

What is supporting the current chimney pipe?