replacing a fisher insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charr

Dec 23, 2012
Hi
I bought a house that had a fisher insert. The chimmy is brick, no liner and is on the out side of the house.
From the hearth it "s" to the brick chimmy. I have been informed it will not pass a wett inspection the fisher wood stove is not CSA approved ( im from vancouver canada).I know I will need to line the chimmy.
The fire place is in the basement and will not be used as a main heat source. It will be used to heat the basement and for emergency.
I want to put in a small wood stove in the hearth. Any suggestion

My advise is go big! When you see what a little one is capable of, but with much tending to, you will wish you had....

If I can get 4-5 hrs of burn time I m happy. I have a new furnace and a new gas fireplace in the house. I do not plan on using the fireplace to heat up the house. The room that the fireplace is in is an enclosed room and its our family/ kid play room. I would have to install fans to vent out the hot air.

Welcome Charr to hearth.com

What size is this space ? This is really the info needed to suggest a stove for the space you dont want to go to small and not be capable of heating it or go to big and cook your britches out of the room. Could you put a few pics up so we can get an idea what your talking about ?

Merry Christmas
Pete

Welcome! If you can post a picture of the fireplace and include the dimensions, that would be great. Also, do you want an insert for the fireplace or a freestanding stove in front of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.